Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

fact or fiction - leaving babies to cry causes hernia's

Hi how long do you think you can leave a baby to cry?ard can leaving boys to cry can cause hernia's or ruptire hernias (max has one on his belly button) is it a load of crap? cos me and john differ on leaving him to cry when there is nothing wrong with him. i'd leave him 10 mins but john would leave hi til he falls asleep?

[Modified by: sara1984 on 03 December 2008 11:19:16 ]

Replies

• Options
    I don't think that leaving them to cry can cause hernia's but I suppose if they get really worked up the pressure could maybe cause problems with an exisiting one. I've never left Barney for longer than 10 mins without going up and calming him down a bit but I will then leave him again for another 10 mins and so on. I don't ever have to do this anymore as he has finally got the hang of sleeping during the day which was when we had the problem. I think that studies have shown that controlled crying doesn't really work before about 4-6 months but it doesn't cause any lasting problems or distress with any babies.
    xx
  • Options
    i hope not. i leave lo for about 10 minutes at a time. he usually falls asleep by then. usually only time he cries
  • Options
    i think its fiction to be honest, ive never heard it before and my MIL left all 4 of their boys to cry themselves to sleep and they were all fine. i also do it with evie and she is fine! X
  • Options
    I've never heard that! But I hate hearing my lo cry and will go to her straight away if she's in her cot and crying. If we're both downstairs and i'm really hungry or thirsty then I will somethimes make her wait if she's not really really upset as i have to keep up my energy to feed her!

I've read and been told by my hv that babies who are not left to cry when they are very young cry less when they are older as they learn that their needs are met and they trust thier carer.

The trouble is that there is so much conflicting research and opinions when it comes to our lo's you just have to do what you feel comfortable with - mothers instinct!!