Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

measuring small?

g/c from preg, just wondering if anyone can help...

short version of my story is i've just changed hospital districts as i've moved and so have all new midwife care so everything is being redone basically to book me into new hospital.

new midwife came out today to do my 38 week appt (i'm 38+4) and when she measured bump it only came out at just under 32 cms. now i've been tiny my whole pregnancy (could still fit into skin tight fitted size 12 tops at 30 weeks without anyone knowing lol) but new midwife is worried by the fact that at my 28 wk appt with old midwife she had me down in the 90th centile for bump size?! tbh i've said all along that she plucked that measurement out of her a*** basically because there was no way on earth i was that big then.

however slightly worried now as one of my friends is due 2 weeks after me and has had about 3 growth scans even tho she's like twice the size of me bump wise (we're about same height n weight so pretty similar) and her baby is still measuring small.

not worried about babys health as she's a proper lil wriggler so iknow she's ok and hb and myh bp etc are all fine. mostly just wondering what happens if baby measures small at scan this late on?

Replies

• Options
    Hi not sure If I can help but I always messured small. Jamie was born weighing 7 11 though. Midwife was a bit shocked and said she didn't know how I hid him!!! So I'm sure if evreything else is fine then it will all be ok. TC x
  • Options
    Hi Hun,

I never measured more than 33cms......they gave me 4 growth scans and all were fine.....he was born 7lb 10oz so I just hid him well.

Plus he engaged at 36 weeks so when I measured 33cm at 38 weeks they werent worried as you do lose a few cm when they engage.

Good luck xx
  • Options
    Hia
    I statrted measuring small at 30 weeks. At 38 weeks I developed pre-eclampsia so had a growth scan. My baby was measuring 35 weeks. She was born 3 days later weighing 5lbs 3oz. she was perfectly healthy and did not need any special care. she was given the all clear to go home after 48hours. they tested her blood a few times during the 1st 24 hours to monitor her sugar levels but all was fine.
    When they saw my daughter was measuring small they induced me
    xx
  • Options
    On the other side...All the way along i was measuring 2 weeks behind and then 3 weeks at the last measurement at 38 weeks...went on to have a 10lb'er on my due date!!! I think it is a little hit and miss!!!

It's good to know they are double checking everything x
  • Options
    Hi

Try not to worry too much. If she is wriggling about that's good.

With my second I was tiny. Complete shock as I was huge with my first. At my 36 week appointment they started to worry about it (I think I was measuring 32cm) and I was sent for a growth scan. It showed all was well. She was smaller than expected but growing fine - dopplers showed blood flows through the umbilical cord and to the brain were good. I was sent up to hospital in London for a further scan with the same result. Scanned weekly from then on all showed although smaller than expected growing well. She was born at 40+4 weighing 6lb 9oz only 2oz less than my eldest.

If at your next appointment they are concerned they will send you for a scan to check all is well. The Fundal height measurement is notorious for being wrong so don't worry about it too much.
  • Options
    Has ur bump dropped mine did and from then i measured no more than 31cm from 35weeks, and dd was born 8lb so nice big baby but cause my bump dropped it was measuring smaller.

Hope that helps.
    Sarah
  • Options
    hey girls thanx for replies, sorry havent been on, went back to my mums with OH for christmas image

well i was told my hospital would ring me last week with a date for growth scan but surprise surprise i still havent heard from them yet! i cant even ring my midwife as she's on hol and not back til after new year, by which point il be a few days overdue, grrr.

no mrsroberts654 my bump hasn't dropped, baby has been in same position for the entire 2 measurements they've dont so dont think it could be that.

been doing some reading though and found out that scar tissue doesnt stretch very well and as i had my gall bladder out when i was fifteen i have several scars all over my abdomen so i'm thinking that might explain my tiny bump. lol.

thanxs again for all the reassurances though girls image

jemma 39+5 and very fed up now lol