Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

fao: bumgenius users

After spending ??60 on disposable nappies for my ds this morning, I'm thoroughly fed up of doing so!
I keep toying with the idea of using reusables, especially now I'm expecting another in May.

I just wondered if you could answer me some questions please?

* How many nappies will I need?
* Do I just buy the nappies or will I need any extra bits?
* How do they wash? When lo has done a poo, how do you clean them? Do they have to be soaked in something or do they just go in the washer?
* Where do you store the dirty ones?
* Do you use them on a night?
* How absorbant are they?
*Other than the cost and being environmentally friendly, what are the advantages for you?
* I'm sure I haven't covered everything so any info is appreciated! :roll:

Thankyou!
xx

Replies

• Options
    we now have a large selection on reusables, but dh still prefers the bumgenius.
    Probably 15-20 nappies (i think i was doing a wash every other day with 20, but wash less often now as have 50+ nappies)
    The bumgenius do come with inserts and we manage fine with these but if your lo is a heavy wetter you might need to add some more bosters, which you buy seperatley
    I dry pail (recomended for bumgenius) you just store them in a bucket with a tight fitting lid, no need to soak. If the poo is solidish i try to shake it off in the toilet if not it goes straight in the bucket.
    I do a rinse cycle, either a 40 or 60 wash depending on what i feel like then a extra rinse cycle, using a quater as much soap powder as normal and no fabric conditioner, as conditioner, or too much powder can stop your nappies absorbing.
    I use pop in's over night (another brand of nappy) but if i put more boosting in my bumgenius i could use them overnight
    A bumgenius with the big insert (you get a big and little one with each nappy) can last pippa a good 3-4 hours
    I love the fact that my nappies have paid for themselves already (well they would have done if i stopped buying pretty ones lol), no land fill, and just as important no chemicals next to pippa's skin, i know exactly what is in pippa's nappies, oh and once pip's potty trained i can sell on all her nappies and make some money back as well.
    A fab site is clothnappytree.com loads of info and a fab classifieds section, i'd get a couple of bumgenius and see how you get on with them before you buy a full set as not all nappies suit all babies.
    Think i've answered all your questions but just give me a shout if you need anymore info
    I love reusable nappies as does my dh and we'd never got back to disposables image
    xxx
  • Options
    We started using bumgenius rather late - Lily was about 10 months old. I started with two and liked them so much I bought more. We have 14 at the mo, but I plan on buying a few more as we are now ttc number two and will be using them with the new baby.

They are easy to use, just like girlinleeds says (she recommened them to me).

When changing Lily I shake the poo down the loo and put the nappy in the nappy bucket. Lily can go about 3/12 hours in a nappy. At night I still use disposables as Lily is a heavy wetter at night and despite a booster inside the bumgenius I've had a wet sleepsuit in the morning! But I may try a different booster...

They are pretty easy to wash, I do a cold wash if they are particulary poo stained and then on a 40 degrees wash with soap powder and an extra rinse. Every so often I do a strip wash to make sure there is no build up of soap powder.

I wash them at night and then put them on the drying rack, by the morning they are nice and dry - don't need to use the tumble dryer!

Wish we'd started using them ages ago! We have tried motherease and diddy diaper but Lily and I never got on with them. I now use a resuable nappy for swimming too.

Hope this helps! xxx
  • Options
    i have ordered mainly bumgenius with a couple of tots bots and a couple of fuzzibunz. so excited!!!
  • Options
    Thankyou for replying, Would I need two seperate sets then for my lo (14mths) and the baby, because it would be abit gross to share or will they be super clean once washed?

Are they easy to get on, I have to literally pin lo down at the mo as he hates nappy change time.

Also I've read they are from 8lb upwards, did you use disposables until lo was this weight?

Do you take them when your out and about or take disposables?

And where do you keep your bucket with the soiled nappies in, I don't really have space in the bathroom and not sure how I'd feel about it being in the kitchen.

Lots of q's I know- but thankyou for taking the time to reply

xx
  • Options
    I will just use the ones I have for Lily and new baby, hopefully Lily may be in knickers by then (lol am VERY hopeful!) They come out lovely and clean and smell fine. I have a panty liner stuck to the inside lid of the nappy bucket that I put a few drops of lavender oil onto to help keep the bucket smelling fresh. You can use tree tea oil as it is antibacterial but I don't like the smell of it! I keep the nappy bucket by the back door and when I wash the nappies I clean the bucket out with milton fluid. If I get a really minging nappy it goes straight in the washer on its own...but this has only ever happened twice in 9 months. They are just like putting on a disposable as they velcro either side. I stuff them after they are dried and then put them with my changing stuff so I just grab one when its nappy change time.

I think when I have the next one I'll use disposables for the first few weeks (remember what Lily's poos were like) and then start with the bumgenius. You can adjust them with the poppers on the front to make them smaller and you get a big insert and a small insert to use inside them.

xx
  • Options
    You don't need 2 sets with BG as you can adjust the size - though I would pre-prep them each time you wash them with a stack for NB and a stack for older.

We didn't start using BG's until 6 months but that's because DH didn't come round to the idea until then. I believe it is easier to use disposables for a few weeks until their system settles a bit.

I do use them when I'm out and about, though I do tend to stick to 1 spare re-usable and then some disposable back ups for any further changes, otherwise it takes up too much room.

We have our nappy bin stored near our washing machine in our conservatory (utility area rather than proper conservatory), we also have the closer nappy bags and have one of them hanging on the back of the nursery door for upstairs (which we take down every night). They also double as bags for nappies at nursery.