Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby walker

I want to buy one but I am worried the wheels will ruin my natural wooden floor - does anyone know....will the wheels mark the floor?? xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Is it real wood? My OH's a cabinet maker he says it depends what type of wood it is. He say's if it's real wood he'd imagine it would mark it. We have laminate so don't have a problem image x
  • Options
    i asked my hubby and he reckons unless u can find one with rubber wheels it will defo mark it!
    not good MKB!
    i remember when u were having your new fridge freezer delivered and you were worried about your floor!
    Hope you get summit sorted!
    xxxx
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but my HV warned me off baby walkers as she said they encouage babies to walk using the wrong part of their feet - the tips of their toes I think it is?
  • Options
    Is it real wood? My OH's a cabinet maker he says it depends what type of wood it is. He say's if it's real wood he'd imagine it would mark it. We have laminate so don't have a problem image x

yes real wood - i think pine (the original floor boards) xx
  • Options
    i asked my hubby and he reckons unless u can find one with rubber wheels it will defo mark it!
    not good MKB!
    i remember when u were having your new fridge freezer delivered and you were worried about your floor!
    Hope you get summit sorted!
    xxxx

haha you remember xx
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but my HV warned me off baby walkers as she said they encouage babies to walk using the wrong part of their feet - the tips of their toes I think it is?

oh dear thats worrying - they have been around for so many years xx
  • Options
    Hmm I know and we can all walk without being on tip toes lol so could be an over-reaction ... however it wouldn't be the end of the world if your floor can't handle one! x
  • Options
    baby walkers aren't great for babies development - they damage the musels in their legs and feet and delay walking/crawling.

They are OK if used for very short periods (I had an activity station for Abby - like a baby walker with no weels) which I used as a safe place to put her, if I needed a quick wee or to answer the door or something. But a playpen is a much better solution.

xxxx
  • Options
    Riley uses his baby walker all the time because he can't crawl so he loves it. I don't think it's going to delay him with walking, I think it's helping because it's strengthening his legs and it's teaching him to put one step in front of the other. Me and my brother and sister all had one so I'm not worried about it doing any damage to him. x
  • Options
    when I did a search to see if I could find something for you MKB it did come up saying that they aint so good for babies! As well as using tippee toes, its also said something albout hip development! However all my nieces and nephews have used them and are all ok..... some crawled, some bum shuffled, A few were early walkers from 9ish months and my youngest nephew is 18 months and still not walking yet!

Nikkiandneil does that mean like a jumperoo or door bouncer aint so good for them either?

xxx
  • Options
    Ollie had a walker from about 4 months and he was walking by 10 months with no problems. MJ used it a bit but she wasnt so keen on it so she never spent much time in it - and she was late to crawl and is only just now starting to cruise.....

like most things the advice was put out because people were putting babies in walkers and leaving them in them for hours, which can cause problems - but with supervision and shorter time periods spent in them they can actually aid development.

I would say that it will mark your floors - ours marked my MILs real wood floor. you can get a toddle truck or a v tech walker.... the toddle trucks have rubber wheels on them anyway and if the v tech walkers dont then you can always put some round them...

xx
  • Options
    i have a wood floor that is the original floorboards and our walker didn't mark the floor - i think it depends on the type of varnish. also my son loved his walker and it didnt delay him as he was fully walking/running independently by 8 months. i think it also depends on who you talk to because 1 of my hv said it was a good thing because he was active instead of watching tv - which he still refuses to watch at 3 - another hv complained saying my son didn't watch enough tv and that is why his speech was delayed - you just cant win when the advice is always changing
  • Options
    Ooh sorry - I sounded a bit gung ho last night didn't I? They are not awful or anything - I just thin it's important that people realise that they dont actually help a baby learn to walk, they are just fun for them (which is important in itself).

They do strengthen leg mucels, but the trouble is that it stops babies trying to pull themselves up/cruise (as if they are in a baby walker - they dont get the opportunity) which strengthen the righ muscels in the right way (if that makes sense). So it's not that the walker is harmful (if used for short periods) its just that there are much better ways to encourage their development.

It's exactly the same with jumperoos/activity stations. They are fun for baby, and a safe place to put them down for a couple of minutes - but there are better ways of encouraging them to learn to stand. I think jumperoos (etc) are better though - because they have more things to occupy baby (so for example - the baby can learn things like cause and effect, and develop their fine motor skills).

You dont need a baby walker to teach them how to put one foot in front of the other. They will learn this by watching you (most of what children learn is from imitation) and by you holding their hands while they walk.

so in summery, I doubt baby walkers do any harm at all (when used correctly) but personally I dont think they do any good either, and they will probably damage MKB's floors.
  • Options
    We have oak floors and our walker doesn't mark them......
  • Options
    Ooh sorry - I sounded a bit gung ho last night didn't I? They are not awful or anything - I just thin it's important that people realise that they dont actually help a baby learn to walk, they are just fun for them (which is important in itself).

They do strengthen leg mucels, but the trouble is that it stops babies trying to pull themselves up/cruise (as if they are in a baby walker - they dont get the opportunity) which strengthen the righ muscels in the right way (if that makes sense). So it's not that the walker is harmful (if used for short periods) its just that there are much better ways to encourage their development.

It's exactly the same with jumperoos/activity stations. They are fun for baby, and a safe place to put them down for a couple of minutes - but there are better ways of encouraging them to learn to stand. I think jumperoos (etc) are better though - because they have more things to occupy baby (so for example - the baby can learn things like cause and effect, and develop their fine motor skills).

You dont need a baby walker to teach them how to put one foot in front of the other. They will learn this by watching you (most of what children learn is from imitation) and by you holding their hands while they walk.

so in summery, I doubt baby walkers do any harm at all (when used correctly) but personally I dont think they do any good either, and they will probably damage MKB's floors.

I dont think you sounded anything of the sort - I didnt realise all of this re baby walkers - so v.good to get the info...

and also most important of all - we have all come to the conclusion they will mark my floors lol only joking xxxx
  • Options

we have pine....a much softer wood, so i think i am at a dead end! xx
  • Options
    Hiya, My Mum works in child development and has advised me against getting one because it puts too much pressure on their legs before they're physically ready to support themselves so we're not getting one, plus our rooms in the cottage are quite small so I don't think he'd really be able to get anywhere. I probably let him have a go at playgroup as I don't think a few minutes once a week can do any harm. x
  • Options

we have pine....a much softer wood, so i think i am at a dead end! xx

OH has just said it will definitely mark a pine floor because it's so soft. x
  • Options
    Hi, I'm a student at Lehigh University working on a project to look into the problems associated with baby walkers and design a new model. If you wouldnt mind, please fill out this quick survey it would help our group a lot. Thank you!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HFLFSYX
  • Options

Stroller is known as a essential item for parents and for baby, especially when they are going for a walk or buying things, which enables the travelling of a infant for too long distances.

get stroller reviews