Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

So unsure... please share your views!

I think I've posted on this before, but am so unsure... I have a 4 year old daughter and a 6 month old son, but I keep thinking of planning one more baby! I have two siblings, my oh is an only child. We both have serious careers though I manage to mostly work out of home. I have good help, but am pretty hands on. The thing is I LOVE CHILDREN and I ABSOLUTELY ADORE BEING A MOM. But everyone I know says It'll be really hard to cope with work and no 3... Also, I wonder why I'm not sure? Is that a sign I should or I shouldn't? Don't mean to confuse you, but would love some advice - even if it to share how you decided on having you babies...

Replies

• Options
    If you know you'll cope then go for it, after all it is everyone else saying it will be hard & they are not you! Only you'll know what you can handle.
    I think it's everyone elses negative responses having an effect on you not being sure & doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahead & have another child.
    Enjoy whatever you decide.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• Options
    Have you spoke to your oh about his thought of another baby?
    Caz x x
    p.s what beautiful children you have, love the avtar pic!
  • Options
    Thank you cazzy.w... my friend who's a photographer shot it!

I have spoken to my oh. He seems open to the idea, but is not overly keen. I think the ball is more in my court, as I'm the one who does more of the 'looking after'!

Frags_Jones, I think you're right. If I ahd more encouragement, or even less discouragement, I would probably be more sure... but just wonder if it is a decision one needs to be a hundred percent about....
  • Options
    I think you do have to 100% sure that you want another one - especially with 2 already!
    Your youngest is only 6 months, so theres no need to have one straight away, is there? There's plenty of time... Maybe when little LO gets a bit older it would be easier to cope with 3?
    xxxxxxx :\)
  • Options
    Actually Anatoric, I got married when I was 23, had an ectopic pregnancy a few years after and finally had our first seven years after! Now I don't have much time coz I turn 35 in a few weeks! However I don't want to plan until lo is at least a year... just keep thinking about it. Don't want to miss the boat and regret it badly 10 years later....!

But you're right, I guess I'm looking for a sign to help me make up my mind... image
  • Options
    i now have 3, and to be honest, we didnt plan the last (well, not quiet!), and i love having them all!
    i had never ruled out having a third, should - i , shouldnt i scenario, so when i found out i was preg again, i was chuffed to bits!

not having any more tho'!!
  • Options
    Hi im the same as ollier, i am currently pg with 36 +2 with no 3 but he wasnt planned as my ds is only 10 months old on wed but i know it will be hard work but after the intial shock i cant wait, only you know how well you will cope and if think you can and you can afford it i say go for it.
    vikki xx
  • Options
    Hi, we have 3, 2 boys aged 5 1/2 and 2 3/4 and Gracie's 6 12/ mth. I love having my 3 and tbh, it's no harder work than having 2 for us. Granted, the washing's increased etc but the looking after bit is no harder. My hubby's a very hands on dad and he mainly looks after the boys ie baths them, gets ready for bed, whilst I do the same for gracie. This will change i'm sure as she gets older but it works really well atm.
    The hardest bit is when all three are crying/whinging etc! As ds1 can dress himself, we take a child each in the morning to dress etc and as the youngest 2 are very chilled out children, I have lovely days taking them to baby/toddler groups etc whilst eldest is at school. There's no way i'd have coped quite so well had he not been at school! He demands the most attention of the 3 of them!
    Go for it if you want! All we had to change was our house and car, minor details really! lol And they're so worth it!!! x
  • Options
    I would put a different spin on this and say that unless you're 100% sure you DON'T want anymore then you should perhaps go for it (maybe when lo is a little older). I have just had my 4th (and last) and always knew I wanted another one.

Even the thoughts of going back to the whole baby scenario, sleepless nights, feeding, nappies etc etc didn't put me off.

So my advice would be to do it again! And btw I'm nearly 38 and although the pg was harder than my others I coped and am finding I'm getting more relaxed the older I get (had my 1st at 18 so have experience of being an older and younger mum)

Good luck with whatever you decidexx
  • Options
    I just turned 39 a few days ago and have 5 kids. Lauren is 17, Chris 14, Joseph 4, Charlie 2 and half and Amelia is 4 months.
    It is hard work but the rewards are huge. When I told people about Amelia I was expecting negativity BUT so many women said they wish they had had one more... I read an interview with Richard and Judy and tho she has 4 kids she said her lifes biggest regret was not having one more with Richard as I think 2 are with her first hubbie.
    You still have a good 5 years and beyond so dont worry. I would see how you feel by next year and if they feeling is still there then go for it.
    Good Luck
    d x
  • Options
    I just turned 39 a few days ago and have 5 kids. Lauren is 17, Chris 14, Joseph 4, Charlie 2 and half and Amelia is 4 months.
    It is hard work but the rewards are huge. When I told people about Amelia I was expecting negativity BUT so many women said they wish they had had one more... I read an interview with Richard and Judy and tho she has 4 kids she said her lifes biggest regret was not having one more with Richard as I think 2 are with her first hubbie.
    You still have a good 5 years and beyond so dont worry. I would see how you feel by next year and if they feeling is still there then go for it.
    Good Luck
    d x
  • Options
    I only have the 2 at the moment but just wanted to say that despite everyone saying I would find it so hard to cope with them both (there's only 12 months between them) I'm actually enjoying it and not finding it too difficult. So if you want another don't let negative opinions put you off- it's your feelings and your oh's that matter. If you can cope with work and 2 lo's then I'm sure you'll do great with 3!

We planned baby one but it happened very quickly (in first month) so was a shock, and I always knew I wanted another quite soon after but baby number two was a happy accident! I'm 25 so planning to wait another 5 years or so and then try for number 3. I'm one of 4 and so is my mum so I'd love to have 4 myself.

Good luck whatever you decide.

xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice! so helpful... based on it I've decided I'm going to see if I DON'T want one next year then I'll give it up, but if I'm not sure then I might just go for it... Might be back to pick your brains next year on this topic!
  • Options
    Hi
    I am 42 this year and have 5 children Curtis 19, Kimberley 17, Lauren 13, Ella 2 and Elliott 9 months and also work full time as a midwife and yes its hard work but would not change a thing and although we do not plan to have any more children (getting old now ) !!!!! I do feel rather sad. You still have a few years left yet to make a decision so just enjoy the two you have and take your time to decide Good Luck x
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm 25 and have 3 kids. Brandon 6, Lily 4 and Reuben 6 months and I am 7 weeks with no.4!!!

I said no more after no.1 and agin after no. 2!!! Then when Lily was about to turn 3 I woke up one morning and said to dh -I want another baby- he nearly fell out of bed in shock tbh as he had been pestering me for another for approx 2 yrs lol.

As soon as I had Reuben I immediately knew I wanted another. We chatted about it and oh said lets go for it!! I thot maybe leave it till RJ was 1 or so and little did I know I was alreay preggers!!

I am delighted but do sometimes feel a bit scared that it will be hard work and it will but I am excited. My oh is VERY hands on- he is a house husband otherwise I def wouldn't have had them so close. I don't think you can ever be 100% sure- even when I was pregnant with RJ I would look into his little nursery and sometimes think oh no what am I doing!! Then other times I would go all gooey looking at the baby stuff. Now hes here and its the best decision I ever made.

I say go for it. What would be your biggest regret- having one more and finding it hard work for a while or as you say yourself leaving it too late and regretting it.