Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breast or bottle? help

this might sound stupid but im so undecided about breast or bottle feeding,I couldnt get away with breast feeding my first as she wouldnt latch on properly so ended up with formula in a very short space of time,I have 5 weeks left til my baby is due and cant make my mind up.my midwife said that breast fed babys need fed more than bottle fed babys,so wondered which is best for night time expesely as I think that it would be easyer to just pick baby up and breast feed but if you have todo that more times than going to make a bottle is it realy any easyer.im not a lazy person just my daughter isnt a good sleeper so I dont want to disterb her as much as possible or I will be up with one or the other.

Replies

• Options
    hey there, cant say i'm the most experienced I only have my little girl but from my experience i'd say start with breastfeeding and see how it goes, your next baby may not latch on well and your decision will be made for you. If you are finding night times feeds to much as they are so frequent you can always change to bottle. I started out breastfeeding and it just got too much for me , when I went onto giving her formula she still fed every three hours(better than all the time when she was being breast fed) in the night for a while but it was more on schedule if you know what I mean.
    I dont know if i'm being any help i just think trial and error kinda works.
    clairex
  • Options
    I would say start with breastfeeding and see how you go, you may find that new lo is a pro and you have no problems at all. I think that you need to breastfeed at night as well as during the day if you are going to do it as if you give formula during the night it will effect your milk supply. Good luck with whatever you decide, Kerry
  • Options
    thanks my first was a nightmare,she never ate well and hardly slept day or night,we were lucky to get an hour in between her sleeping.she was 2 before she slept through the night for more than 1 night.it has only been since this January when she started nursery that she dosnt appear in our room at some point through the night.so if we got through that I can do it again.keep telling myself that this one cant be any worse.
  • Options
    wow.... Just makes me realise how lucky I am, my husband was a non-sleeping baby for about 2years too his mom has told me some horror stories about him , i think he makes up for lost sleep now, lol x hope all goes well this time for you. clairex