Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help..breastfed baby won't take bottle

Hi,
I'm starting to tear my hair out here..we've been trying to get Angelo to take a bottle (expressed milk) but he just will not have it. It's like he doesn't know how to latch onto it (same with a dummy). We've tried various different teats including the Tommee tippee close to nature and doctor browns, Ive tried, but it's usually my partner trying whilst I'm out of the room but he either screams or plays around with it in his mouth.
Do you think I should give up? Its been more than 3 weeks of offering it to him everyday, about three times a day and all the milk I express ends up down the sink. I really want him to take it though so I can get a bit of a break now and then.. it's starting to get me down.
Has anyone else had this problem or got any ideas? Sorry for the moan!

Replies

• Options
    Hi
    I had the same problem until someone recommended the MAM bottles and the same afternoon she took the bottle straightaway with me in the same room. They're not the cheapest bottles but if it means you can have a break then it is worth it.
  • Options
    Hi, i have been having exactly the same problem. My baby screams when he is hungry and given the bottle. I had been trying for a few weeks and gave up because i couldn't take him crying so much. Can you please tell me exactly which bottle i am looking for please?
  • Options
    my lo has first years breast flow bottle, its the only one he wld have, it works like breast with a two part teat, not cheap but worth a try if all else fails.
    good luck. xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies girls. it could be that i left it too late before trying, he was 2 months. Will definitely have a look at the MAM and first years flow bottles. Fingers crossed..we're going home for xmas and I'm hoping I can leave him with grandma for a few hours while I go off gallivanting! xx
  • Options
    ash123, hope you have some luck..let me know how you get on.
  • Options
    Hi again, my lo was 8 weeks before we tried her with a bottle and i thought it was too late, but she did take it. Are you giving your milk cold or warmed up? I also noticed my lo would not take my milk unless it was warm as when you breast feed them the milk is warm from you. Now she's on formula she's doesn't care whether it is warm or cold as long as she gets it.
  • Options
    Hi cassie, I usually put the bottle (from the fridge) in hot water for a couple of minutes before, it's not that warm but takes the edge off. How did you heat your milk up?
  • Options
    Hi missymoo, I just did the same as you in a jug of water for a few minutes problem is it goes cold really quick as well. We also managed to trick her by warming the teat up in the jug of water as it can take a while for the milk to warm the teat up. I know it seems frustrating at the time my lo used to get so worked up but I needed her to take the bottle so I could have a break and so that my mum could look after her. I was told that if you're out and they're hungry they will take the bottle.

Anyway hope i've helped.
  • Options
    hi missymoo I had the exact same problem with Isaac, I have got more brands of bottle in my cupboard than mothercare and he will not take any of them I have given up now coz to be honest I cant be bothered with the stress of it all.
  • Options
    Hi there

My daughter would take a bottle at 6 weeks old, but then I left it and at 6 months old she refused point blank to take the bottle!

I tried every kind and finally found one she would take. Its the playtex drop in system. With a medium flow latex naturalatch teet.

She resisted a bit to start, but once I had her attention on something other than the bottle (the tv), i got her to take it. Once she latched on she took the whole bottle.

I used expressed milk to start with. But on the 2nd bottle I gave her SMA, just luke warm, and she took it no problem!

I was a bit sceptical about these bottles working but they really do and I was amazed!!! Highly highly recommend!!

I bought mine from www.infantcaredirect.co.uk. was the best price i could find.

I am really really impressed so thought I would share!!!
  • Options
    hi missymoo

my bf baby took some ebm in a bottle at 2 weeks old, never gave any again until 8 weeks and he had forgotten how and got very upset. Tried them intermittantly until he was 5 months - and he finally did it! Now if he has one about once a week just so that he remembers how to do it. He sees it and makes his hungry noise and grabs it with both hands! Never EVER thought we'd get here!

It can be a battle of wills and tbh i think you're trying too often. Children adapt with time but it will now have become a battle of wills, you'll be stressed, your LO will be stressed...breast feeds are a huge comfort for babies and if they feel this is under threat they can get very upset. You shouldnt feel bad for wanting/needing an alternative - i resolved that i could cope with not going out but i do need to return to work when he's 8 months! No amount of being told he would be a very different child by then, and would behave differently made me feel much better. I owned every kind of bottle and teat possible (lol) i tried him every day for a few days, then had a week off and tried again. We never forced it and always let him have the breast if he got upset.

In the end - he took a dummy a few weeks beforehand (he kept pushing it out with his tongue but it didnt upset him so i fugured this was easier to teach than teaching him to have a teat, and he learnt how). We then used the MAM bottle as it was most like his dummy. My mum tried with me out of the room. We took our HV's advice and fed him in his car seat facing my mum - with my mum making eye contact with him, talking to him. It was more a social experience and not the warm cuddley one he associateds with breast feeding - two different experiences, so he doesnt feel bottle is replacing breast. It worked. I was also advised to warm the teat under scalding water (so it seemed more body temp) and to try NUK teats as HV said they were very effective - but we never had to as MAM worked.

I've now had my hair done (yay!) and Oh and i are planning a few hours out to go to cinema and have lunch, although dont feel i want to leave him at bedtime yet - the last bf of the day is soothing for us both.

you dont say how old your lo is (i dont think) but honestly, their brain development changes all the time, and one day he's just going to surprise you. Im afraid its about patience until then, as hard as it is 3 times a day will just be winding both of you up.

Hope this helps a little x