Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What age can you give a baby tea ?

2»

Replies

• Options
    well im with you lambchop, i think its nice to give them a hot drink something other than milk.

Im gonna start about 9 months or so with a milky cup of tea in his sippy cup!

Enjoy xx
  • Options
    What about some fennel tea? Daisy has it occasionally - and it's meant to be good for babies... Don't know why, think it's good for digestion or something. She does only have a tiny amount of it though! xx
  • Options
    Yes, fennell is good. I was told it was good for digestion and helping windy babies so good to drink when BF.

Bedhead I am the same with tea, I hadn't had a cup of tea for about 10 years and they brought me a pot of tea and some granary toast after I had Ollie. OMG it was the BEST think I have ever eaten/drank!
  • Options
    My lo is 11 months and had a slurp of my cold tea from the bottom of my cup but that's it. I wouldn't give it to her as a drink until she was much older, prob 6,7. I don't think unsweetened tea rots your teeth but it does stop children from absorbing iron. I think I read they shouldn't have it until they are 5???? Also if adults drink tea with a meal no iron from that meal is absorbed. I would recommend the fennel tea. I got a free sample from Hipp. I have never had ovaltine but I will probably give my lo that first.
  • Options
    My lo's are 3 and 4 and have a cup of tea when They Ask for one! Which is about once a month maybe two months. Its one of those thing that i think if you say no it will only make them want it more.
  • Options
    i got a sample of fennel tea from hipp too, it says for mums and babies, i know the belgian version of gripwater is called bebefen, which is made from fennel, so must have some digestive/ wind benefits xx
  • Options
    Kelsie has had 5 mouthfuls of my tea ever and she's 2. I have it strong and with 1 sugar. She isnt to fussed about it, but like its sometimes. Its a personal choice hun, and you do what you feel.

xx
  • Options

why is it that a parent has no problem giving their child pepsi or iced tea, or chocolate, but cringes at the idea of giving the child a cup of coffee or tea?  Tea happens to be extremely healthful and loaded with flouride, look at the people who were brought up on tea, they have the best teeth.  As for the iron thing, i hardly believe that a cup a day will do any damage.  I grew up drinking coffee and tea, mostly coffee, as i live in the USA, my mother and father never made a big deal of it, and i'm just fine.  I allow my children to drink coffee for breakfast as soon as they're old enough to drink out of a cup (about 4 years old).  But i do find it very ironic how many parents have absolutely no problem feeding their child pepsi but not coffee.  Personally, I have NEVER allowed my kids to drink pepsi, only diet pepsi and tab.  Sugar free drinks do not promote tooth decay, and artificial sweetners are perfectly safe.  The sugar industry pays $$$$millions every year to make them look bad.  No case of cancer in a human has EVER been traced to saccharain or any other artificial sweetner.  But, I prefer to let them use saccharin in their cereal or drinks, as it does not break down, unlike aspartame.  If you bring them up to eat artificial sweetners early, then they will be used to it and prefer it over sugar.  My children may eat candy as long as it's sugar free.  My mother brought me up like that and i have only 2 caviities, and i am now diabetic and glad i was used to the diet stuff to begin with when i was first diagnosed.  I know people who go thru hell getting used to artificial sweetners, so better to introduce it at a young age.  If you want to believe the sugar industry, that's your business, but i know plenty of children who were brought up on diet drinks and they are completely normal. 

• Options

Get a clue! you're so naive! a baby doesn't need tea, a baby doesn't know what it is, why give them something they don't need, it's always dumb parents, let me guess you have sugar in it too! it's full of caffiene and even if it's decaf they don't bloody need it, especially with sugar, it's a bloody baby! grow up!!!

• Options

re Lisa the Boot:  she asked what age you would give them tea fool, she is not saying i will give a new born baby tea. My  2 year old girl has wee tea parties with dolls etc and has wee tiny china cups with tea, about the size of 5 thimbles full.  But wait, I better listen to your advice.......  Oh no maybe she wont get iron now!!!!!!!  And she will go crazy with the caffine!!!!! AAgggghhhhh  never again a dolly tea party!!   fud.

• Options

I'd say its okay I mean obviously no caffine and sugar thats  a no go but have you though of maybe giving her a herbal tea something like cammomile and vanilla or ginger? something along those lines that way no caffine only natural sugars if anything at all and if sweetened with anything I'd advise honey though I think your not supposed to give them honey until they are over a year old. But ignore people I dont think tea is linked to caveties fillings or tooth loss thats sugar not tea. Tea is high in anti oxidants as well as caffine a little tea in moderation would do a child no harm.

• Options

So what's wrong with giving the baby decaff tea? No caffine in that. 

• Options

my whole family was brought up having tea even my 99 year old nan who only drinks and has always only drank tea. she has no deficiencies I will certainly be giving my little one tea too. as you say in England it's a family bonding time. I think I will be giving tea from 1 year old just weak and milky to see if he likes it. I think being balanced and letting your child experience safe experiences is the best thing in the world. I came on here looking for the same help and advice and have been very disappointed by some comments. 

• Options

OK so everyone is constantly saying that babies shouldn't have tea. But what if that's all they will drink my little girl won't drink anything else just tea. I've tried lots of things and she barely touches any of it. I think as long as a babies drinking it doesn't matter too much what the drink is. 

• Options

To be honest my LO I said 4months and eats like an 8 month old, already on puree and rusk already holding things and eating on her own and holding her bottle. about once every so often I give her a couple of drops of milky tea on a spoon because I have mine milky and not too strong. She loves it, always wants more and is always staring into my cup as I drink it. I agree that coffee isn't for children due to the caffeine content however if you see what some kids drink these days (energy drink) then you'd probably prefer it lol. Have you tried something like hot milk instead of hot chocolate? Or perhaps hot fruit drinks, I drink warm blackcurrent it work a charm for I'll kids too x