Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

controlled crying? what age and is it effective?

Hi all....
hope everyone is well with their babies!!...
My little one is two months old now and is sleeping great at night. He'll go about 7 hours, however wont go down until about 10 - 11pm..
I really want to try getting him to go down for the 7 hours from about 7pm.. is this possible?..
If so how?..
Does controlled crying work and how do I go about it? (or any other advise on this)

Thanks xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi. my little man is 16wks and i started to put him down at 8.30 every night, if he cried i pick him up for a minute until he is calm then put him back down straight away (not holding him for long), sometimes i did this 5-6 times but within 3 nights he understood that it meant bedtime and fell asleep without crying.
    It seems harsh i never left him crying for long just a minute then held him until he calmed and put him straight back down.
    x good luck x
  • Options
    hi, you could try the bath, feed bed routine, i bath isaac at about 6.30 then give him a gentle massage then i feed him at 7pm and he is in bed by 7.30, it did take a while for him to learn to settle and like sophia i never left him to cry, i would just go into him and stroke his face or hold his hand, he soon learnt but it did take a few weeks, i dont think controlled crying is recomended till at least 6 months. isaac is nearly 19 weeks now and just last week he started going through from 7 till 7. good luck. Hayley x
  • Options
    i did cc with my lo at 9m and it worked, though i think 2m is too early as babes dont quite understand

u could try bringing bedtime forward gradually by 15/20mins until u get to a time that gives u more babe free time in the evening. xx
  • Options
    I started controlled crying with my son at about 7 or 8 months - it worked and was a godsend as he had never slept through until then. He's now 3 and sleeps like an angel - never have any problems getting him to go to bed, he actually enjoys his bedtime routine! Bet I won't be so lucky this time around though.

I do think controlled crying before 5 or 6 months is maybe a bit too early though...
  • Options
    Thanks very much everyone.
    Think its safe to say that most ladies feel controlled crying shouldnt be done this early then.
    Today ive changed his feeds slightly, bathed him at 7.30 and put him to bed.
    it took an hour of gently coming in the room a minute after he'd cry and soothing him back off...

Its the first night he's been asleep for 8.30!!!..
    Thanks for all your help everyone... Lets just hope its not a one off. xxx

Its a novelty for me and hubby to be sitting here without baby being awake.
  • Options
    i personally don't do controlled crying, because i'm a wimp & would give in. But if i did, i wouldn't do it at this young age. Starting a bedtime routine now is a great idea. I would try to bath & change into bed clothes, just before the evening feed, then do that feed in the bedroom, with curtains closed etc & then put baby straight to bed. for me this was usually about 6.30pm & to this day its still about the same time & works a treat. LO can't wait to get in bed sometimes. In the early days, you'll probably have to keep going back in to settle for a while, but he'll soon get the routine. My only other tip would be, once baby has been put to bed don't get them up/out again (unless really screaming or for a night feed/change).