Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Deferred OMP?

Hi ladies

Before I had my little girl I worked at a Primary school as a Teaching Assistant and I also did a few hours Admin in the office and I was a Welfare lady at lunch times. When I started my Maternity leave I choose to defer my OMP as I wasn't sure if I would be going back or not. Im still not 100% what Im doing but Im leaning towards just going back to my Admin hours which would mean I would work 2 mornings a week! I would do more but I haven't got the childcare. Anyhow my main question is as I deferred my OMP I understand this will be paid to me when I return to work but I remember something being mentioned about a 13 week period, does anyone know if I will be paid the OMP as soon as I return to work or will they only give it to me after the 13 weeks? Also does anyone know if it would be a lump sum of the money accrued or will they pay it to me monthly....if it is paid monthly is it shown as a seperate line on the payslip or lumped in with my wages? Also does anyone know if I have to pay tax on it, Im thinking I will but there is a bit of hope! ha I mean its not a huge about, prob about ??1500 but we desperately need our windows doing so it would be a great help if it was a tax free lump sum but Im sure its not going to be!!!!
They like to make this maternity entitlement complicated dont they!

Many thanks

Replies

• Options
    bump.....just thought I'd give it another go!
  • Options
    3rd and final go just in case ......as last time I posted it was later in the day!

• Options
    Didn't want to read and run, I am sorry I have no clue, didn't get this entitlemnnt at my place of work so have no clue,, hope you manage to get some answers soon x
  • Options
    lol....thanks Clare1182! I got my hopes up then!! image Never mind I think it must be quite a rare thing as nobody I talk to in real life knows about it either, everyone I know has just taken it over their Mat leave as they couldn't afford not to and know they are definately going back to work so not a problem!

• Options
    Awwh I am sorry, didn't want you having no replys! I would've thought you'd of got it a lump sum, only cos you should've had all the money before you return to work so why not get it in one go if you do actually go back? Finger crossed for you! x
  • Options
    This isn't offered by all companies, I think only ones that contract you to return after maternity do this. It will be paid in a lump sum and most likely taxed. The tax will depend on your annual income as the first ??6kish isn't taxed. Do you not have a payroll dept you can speak to? They should be able to do a 'dummy' run on their payroll system which will let you know exact amounts. Failing that hmrc should be able to advise you on the tax.
  • Options
    Lil Betty Boop - mmm we must have a payroll dept but I haven't had need to contact them before and they will probably be at County hall so not like I can just ring someone at school and find out. Think I might ring school tomorrow and get someone to either find out for me or tell me who I need to ring as it would be good to know exact figures really.

Thanks for the reply!

xx