Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby signing

Has anyone used sign language with their babes ? I've heard lots of good stuff about it and want to start, but can't find any information.. Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    try looking on internet, im interested 2 but no classes in local area, they do it in next borough but i'm not in catchment area! i found some interesting articles on internet, you can get dvds and books to teach u. my friend used makaton on her lo and thoght it fab, her lo now talks like mad, though slow to start.
  • Options
    Thanks Claire, I just want to be able to communicate with babe as soon as possible. I have started a few signs for milk, bed, massage and bath but need inspiration !!
  • Options
    i think you can pretty much make up your own signs, but using something like bsl or makaton is better if you want other people to communicate with baby too. should start signing around 6 months, baby will respond with signs at 8-9 months. have you checked out ebay for signing books/dvds?
  • Options
    I saw this on the tv a few weeks back and I'm really interested there is a clip about it on the baby channel website if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    If you're in a Sure Start area they should do classes which are free. I don't think sure start applies to everywhere though. Good luck! xx
  • Options
    Thanks all, no classes near me but I have found someone who has done it with her little girl who is going to meet me. Even if it's only the basics like food, nappy or tired it's got to be worth a try !
  • Options
    I think it is amazing how this works but just to make you aware that my nephew is 23 months old and has been signing since 9 months (he learnt at nursery) and can only say a couple of words as he prefers to sign, so i do think it delays the speech a bit. xx