Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Piercing lo ears?

I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to do it or not. Anyone have their lo's ears pierced?

Replies

• Options
    i personally dont agree with it because you are essentially oing something to the child that will cause them pain on purpose and they may not like it when they get older. we are letting our daughter have hers done when she is old enough to give us a decent reason and is old enough to look after it herself. but thats just my opinion!!
  • Options
    No, and I won't be having it done either. She can make her own mind up as to whether she wants them pierced when she is old enough. I had mine done when I was about 7 I think and it was sooo sore that I can't imagine inflicting it on a baby.
    If you want it done then it's your choice and your opinion. There was a lengthy post about this a few weeks ago, perhaps have a look for it as it got a lot of response.
  • Options
    no way, whats the point? Let her decide to do it when she wants when shes older, that way it can be something special for her. Whats the rush? You wouldnt start shaving her legs now would you!
  • Options
    I wont be getting my lo's done either until she is old enough to decide whether she wants it done.
  • Options
    I wont be getting my lo's done either until she is old enough to decide whether she wants it done.
  • Options
    i had my lo done at 18 months as when me and a lot of my friends had them done we all messed with them and they all went manky so thought get it out the way and she has never had any problems unlike her sister who was 7 and they took ages to heal as she was always playing with them when they did them two people did it one each ear so it could be done at the same time she did cry but it was seconds and then she was over it
  • Options
    if its down to personal choice shouldnt it be the childs decision?
  • Options
    I dont agree with causing your lo uneccesary pain just for cosmetic reasons. Surely, its up to your child to make the decision when they are old enough to understand.
  • Options
    Im havin my lo ear pierce when he 1, my sister got her 2 children ears pierce and they were both fine. She got them done when James was 2 and jasmine was 1 and there ears was fine, my sister said as long as you bath the ears 2 times a day the ears will heal fine. So im going to get Sean done just after his first birthday
  • Options
    I agree that its a personal choice, but personal to your child. It should be HER decision when she is old enough to make it for herself. Lots will say 'oh its your baby, its your choice'. Yes she is your baby, but she is not your posession, neither is she an extension of you. She is an individual and should be treated as such.

And b4 someone trots that old chestnut out about how 'we make lots of decisions on behalf of out babies' - yes we do, but they are things like immunisation (potentially life saving), names (which can be changed if lo wants to) schools etc, they dont usually involve scarring them for life which is what punching holes in their ears will do.
  • Options
    there was the same topic on a few eeks ago and it caused huge debate.

i personally don't like it, my duaghter is 8 and i still wont let her have her ears pierced until she can make a proper decision. also with school, they aren't allowed to wear them.

c xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Ya but the lo dont like them when he older the he can take it out i think its up to the mums if they want to have there los ears done
  • Options
    personally i think it looks horrible on little children but aside from that i think it is unfair to do it when the child is young as they don't have a say and when they have them done that young they will always have the hole in their ear even if they don't like them. Also i remember being told when i had mine done (at16) that when children have them done young their holes end up too close to the head and not central once they are older as they're ears are not full size at that age (obviously!)
  • Options
    They can take them out but will always have the scar. Again, the baby is not an extension of the mum.
  • Options
    Whats next, nipple piercings and prince alberts? I think shops should be banned from piercing ears of children under 12. As a parent we have a responsiblity to make sure our children are safe and I think this is uneccesary suffering. A baby is not a fashion accessory and shouldnt be put through that just to make them look cool.
  • Options
    Hi all, I agree with most points here and glad this subject has come up as I am not sure what to do.

I have my ears pierced, and my daughter who is now 3 always says that she wasnts ears like mummy meaning she wants ear rings. She is very clear with telling me whats what she runs the house! Her auntie(my sister) is only 7 and has hers done too and so my lo looks up to her alot and wants hers done.

I have tried her with the stick on ones but she isnt silly and still insists on wanting hers done. I dont give in to everything with her so can say no to her but she does persist that she wants them done. I know at 3 they dont always understand what everything is. I am thinking I may give in to her, but then I will have the problem of my youngest daughter whom is 17 months. Will I go through the same thing with her and would it be easier to get them done together?

Any advice welcome even if you dont agree I dont mind lol!!

xx
  • Options
    I just wanted to add about pierced ears that heal up - i had my ears pierced 3 times as a teenager and now i'm older and just want one set of earrings, i've let the other 2 heal up. The problem is i've been left with scars where the holes were and also little lumps in my earlobe, they have got better but i've not worn earrings in them for close to 10 years and you can still see and feel where the holes were. I wouldn't want people to think the piercings heal up and disappear completely.
  • Options
    No way would i get my lo's ears peirced! I have 3 girls and a boy! my girls are 9. 3. and 10 months old and none of them are having them done i told my eldest she can have them when she is over 13 and she can think about it properly! I hate seeing babies with earings it looks so chavvy image just a personal opinion image xxx
  • Options
    Laurie, I'm not going to have a go at you about this because I don't have particularly strong feelings on the subject.
    I am curious though; why does a baby need earrings? Is it a religious/cultural reason or just for cosmetic reasons? I realise that sounds really sarcastic but its not meant to be.

If you want to do it then you're going to do it anyway, regardless of what people on here think. But, if you're unsure, if there's a doubt in your mind then I think you've answered your own question.

Liz x
  • Options
    Its up to you, everyone has very different opinons on this and there was a thread on this a while ago,which was like opening a can of worms....
    I personally will be getting Lily's done, I was 8months when I had mine done and will be getting them done about the same age.x