Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Medised Ban???

Hi

I know there have been things in the news recently about banning certain cough medicines but has anyone heard anything about Mediced?
OUr local boots have said that it is not to be sold for use with under 2 year olds now, does anyone know if this is true?

I am a little concerned as I have used it the last couple of nights and not sure why it is banned.

Replies

• Options
    I bought Medised from Morrisons 3 months ago for my 6 month old, they never said anything in there. Mayb ring ur GP and ask them? I didnt think it did much with my little, better off with Calpol, or natural granules from Boots..
    Marie.x
  • Options
    Apparantltythere has been some problems with over dosing in younger children so the age limits have been changed recently. It also applies to the calpol night and a couple of other things.
  • Options
    I have just found on the medised website -
    Medised for Children is specially formulated to ease away pain in children from two years
    Why was this not in the news? or did I just miss it?
  • Options
    The nice lady in boots explained it to me. Its because medised has antihistamines in it, as does cough medicine and there had been cases of (stupid) people overdosing their kids on too much medicines containing antihistamines - I think that it had been a mix of medised and cough medicines causing the problem. Apparently it was only on the news once or twice.

If you have stuck to the correct dosage and haven't mixed it w ith cough medicine I wouldn't worry -
  • Options
    i was told by my health visitor medised was fine from 6months i gave it to both my kids they started teething at 10weeks old, is it just because people arent using it properly or is it dangerous ????
  • Options
    I think it has only happened recently and assume that it is because people are using other medicines with it and over dosing.
    I am going to check with the gp or hv if i can tomorrow.
  • Options
    exactly!!!! i nearly killed hubby when he was looking after my son n gave him twice the amount of neurofen as he was meant to (he didnt read bottle just assumed it was same dose as calpol ) idiot !
  • Options
    I gave my lo medised last week as she had a really bad cold, however, I think I will go and throw the bottle now and try somethng else, its just not worth the risk.
  • Options
    I've been using it once b4 bed and once during the night for my lo as she has a bad cold and it's the only thing that settles her enough to breathe properly again. I don't give her the full 5ml and don't give anything else so when she needs it, I'll give it.
  • Options
    I checked at the chemist today and was told it has been taken off sale for anyone under the age of 2 years due to problems with dosing - but if you go to your gp they can prescribe it for an under 2 year old as long as they clearly explain how to dose.
    I will probably try something else but if it doesn't work I may continue with the MEdised as I only ever give one dose and nothing else with it.
  • Options
    i have been using medised since Lewis was 3 month - i have run out but i cant see the problem, just go and buy it and if the ask how old yor child is say 2 lol - my pharmacist said it wasok to keep using it but there had been new guidelines!
  • Options
    Hello there
    Medised was included in a ban on a number of drugs containing anti-hystamines for babies. The anti-hystamine causes drowsiness which is why it's popular with parents! I really pushed the pharmacist at Boots to tell me why the products had been withdrawn and was told it's because anti-hystamines can cause breathing difficulties in babies. You can use them with no problem on children over two because their airways and hearts are mature enough to deal with any side effects. They were also withdrawn because parents were unwittingly overdosing (Medised contains paracetamol so parents would give babies a dose of medised and then a dose of paracetamol). In the end though, as with everything, it's up to you what you think is right for your child. It is a risk but then parents were using medised on their babies for years with no problems.
    Here's a link to the original story by the BBC:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7315924.stm
  • Options
    to all parents over dosing their babies: i understand how much a full or half nights sleep can be appealing believe me i havnt had many in the last two years. but can you really sleep at night knowing you have drugged them to sleep? ... i have had the same dilemma with medised as all from my daughtert being 6 months old NOW being told she has to be 6 to legally take medised but with 2 years plus on the box what is going on??? as many i sent my partner in to lie to buy some. i only ever give her 2.5 ml b4 bed if she has a cold or teething bad, i dont think one half dose a day for my 13 month old can match the idiots drugging their kids for a quiet life. am i wrong?????
  • Options
    Gosh this is an old thread!!
    The active ingredient in calpol is also in medised (paracetamol) so if she can have medised she can't be allergic to the paracetamol. I don't use calpol because it's full of sugar and colours, I use medinol as well, which is another infant paracetamol, maybe you could try that?
  • Options
    gosh it is an old thread im intrigued as to how these posts are found!! lol ...i too went to buy medised a short while ago for my 3 year old but they wouldnt sell it to me cos its now over 6 only!!! :roll: xxxxxx
  • Options
    I think people search for key words such as 'Medised' and these posts come up. They then join to reply not realising how old they are. I always read things thinking 'this doesnt sound right' then look at the date and realise why! lol!
  • Options
    It's normally when someone refers to the age of their baby, or when I find one of my own posts, that I think Ehhh? Somethings not right!!!
    xx
  • Options
    or there are loads of names i dont recognise!
  • Options
    I would definitely try the medinol. Calpol always seems really sticky, and sweet to me, I'm not suprosed it made her sick!! I only buy it if it's and emergnacy and I can't get anything else.
    Silly google!! Obviously doesn't check dates lol.
    xx