Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

"Baby" products - total rip off?!

2»

Replies

• Options
    Me too - I add salt to everything!! And I'm far too liberal with the sprinklings!!
    xx
  • Options
    i hate salt i don't put it on anything!!!
    so much so, that when my mum wanted salt on her roast dinner today, i went to the cupboard to find i didn't even have any!! :lol:
  • Options
    Urgggh! I don't put salt on anything!
    A chef would hate me lol!
  • Options
    I am a bit weird- I often come out of boots and think 'bloody hell how did i spend ??20' but then again I am so reluctant to give Ellie 'normal' food as she is so bad with her eating and I am a bit like ccbmummy in that I think the baby orientated food has extra vitamins etc that Ellie could certainly do with!
    Now that she's almost 1 I am becoming a little less stringent but because of her dairy intolerance it's difficult as so many thinks contain milk or traces of it whereas a majority of the baby products especially boots own organic range, don't. I nearly fainted at a packet of dairy-free muffins, 4 in the packet and they were ?? 2.50 in sainsburys!!!!!! xxx
  • Options
    a lot of things that are apparently 'essential' are complete rip offs - muslins - whats wrong with an old sheet that you cut up into squares instead of throwing out, no difference... or hankies - cheaper than muslins and surely exactly the same!

we use normal gravy, I usually make it from the juice of the meat I'm cooking anyway, and i never add salt to any of Ollie's food (Or our food now either, much to OHs dismay as he loves the stuff)
    we use normal pasta and rice, normal marg and butter... cordial when he has it, etc etc... anything we eat he has a portion of - by the time his small portion is taken out the amount of salt in it is almost negligible - and one thing people forget is that you actually need to have an intake of salt in order to help you retain the fluid needed to keep your body hydrated.
    Diaroylte (Ollie had this to try and rehydrate him in hospital) has salt in it.

xxx
  • Options
    i agree with you all on most things except the stock cubes.- i buy baby stock. Stock cubes are so high in salt and your setting their taste buds up to favour salty foods. Each to their own though. xx
  • Options
    I don't buy the special baby stock cubes, I buy Kallo Organic Low sat stock instead. It's actually got no added salt at all, just a bit of yeast extract but it's not as expensive as the baby stuff.
    xx
  • Options
    ha ha i buy EVERTHING and ANYTHING that has baby on it!!! daisy doesnt eat v well at all so im afraid i get suckered into buying anything particuarlly for the vitamins. erm am i the only one who doesnt think formula is expensive? i used to get through a tub a week we thought this was cheap? dont think theres a massive difference if you put it into pints of fresh milk is there?
  • Options
    i agree that the pasta and things are a big rip off...and those sachets of sauces and things! i have the organic stock cubes to use for camerons meals but if i make something for us with normal stock i will still give him a portion. iv checked with the hv and she says this is ok as the amount he actually eats, and how often is not actually going to harm him in any way.
    comfort milk is especially expensive. when cam was on it and wholey milk fed we would go through about ??35 milk a month!!
  • Options
    I totally agree,At first i did buy anything that said "baby" on it but now i use all food stuff i would use for myself,mind you Benjamin is 18mths now so im not as strict as i used to be!!
    Mummystephe,agree about muslims..useless..i just used old linen cut up.Ben was a sicky baby and i went through loads,had to even fold one up undr his head in his cot and change it throughout as he dribbled that much out!!!
    Same with baby blankets and sheets,i cut alot of my old sheets up and used these,my mum(bless her) went mad with the knitting needles so i had more blankets than i knew what to do with!!!lol.
    I personally love salt,and black pepper and will put it in everything,and on it afterwards!
    Though for Ben i look for reduced salt,no sugar ect..but still use products for us not baby!they are a rip off,oh and who ever posted about using pet stair gates ect is a genuis,something to remember lol x
  • Options
    I agree baby food generally is over priced and unnecessary, I do buy some occasionally for convenience but NOT for nutritional benefits. It's a shame some mums don't know how to wean babies onto solids without jars/ packets.
  • Options
    Ohh don't even get me started on the price of baby products! I must spend easily going on ??30 a week on baby jars and rusks and thats without nappies, wipes, carton of milk, and juice!

I'm just gonna go now before i take over the page. lol

Lisa xxx