Forum home› Babies› Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

blw

have a look at the Annabel Karmel forum,there are loads of recipes on there and ideas to concoct your own.

Replies

• Options
    Was just wondering if anyone else is doing baby led weaning. My lo has never been in love with puree's. He has loved to feed himself chunks of food from the beginning, which I'm very happy with. The gag reflex is a wonderful thing and it amazes me what the boy manages to eat. He's been eating things like carrot and celery sticks from six months. Can you believe a HV told me the other day that I gave him too many vegetables and I should give him sausage!!! Honestly, some of these HV should be struck off. I do however run out of ideas for meals.
  • Options
    Hiya! I'm brand new to this but wanted to say that my little one is being baby led weaned. I started her at 26 weeks( as recommended) I was really sceptical at first, but my sister, who is a HV told me to have a go and im so glad i did! Abbie munches away on sticks of pear, carrots etc and its so funny to watch her chewing away with her gums! She has gagged a couple of times but sorts it out herself. I agree, i have difficulty with meal ideas too...she loves avocado but squishes it in her hands before it gets a chance to get to her mouth! I do help her out alot at the moment but her hand to mouth co-ordination is really improving. Its great to see her so independant and enjoying her food.
    Some HV's are brilliant but i guess its just luck of the draw!(I may be biased coz my sister is one, but she's not my assigned HV)
  • Options
    I'm a first time mum. What is baby led weaning?
  • Options
    It is a wonderful thing to see your baby feeding itself and such grown up food also. I think my babies palate is amazing. He now has his favourites and it's mainly sandwiches and pesto pasta. I love the freedom it gives also. when we go out I take a sandwich but I order of the menu also, konowing that he will help me eat it. I haven't bought a jar in months, what's the point when he eats proper food. Lucky old you having a sister as a HV!
    Lina, BLW is basically what we've mentioned, food your baby can hold and feed to themselves. Obviously it has to be fairly soft and not a size that's a chocking hazard, Although saying that my lo will munch on a whole apple.
  • Options
    i had never heard of this before, i just started dd on pureed food, what sort of things did you start your lo on, what if they choke it would worry me but i would be interested in trying it with my son, hes 4 1/2mths now so would be starting in month 1/2. any tips appreciated thanks.
  • Options
    never heard of led weaning either my babs is just 5months and doesnt like puree much loves mashed banana but very interested to see what kind of food you gove to start off with
  • Options
    If you put Gill Rapley into a search engine you'll find all the info you'll need.
    I started of on soft carrot sticks and green beans. He also loved sticks of cooked celery. He then went onto pasta, whole tomatoes, kiwi's etc Chunks of cheese are agood one. Anything they can hold and not too hard, they need to be able to mash it with their gums.
  • Options
    soft pear cut into a stick and steamed courgette sticks are another couple of suggestions.She particularly loves fruit and is eating everything i give her...she eats with me and her Daddy and loves being part of meal times.I did struggle with ideas for breakfast. I now soak a rice cake in milk so its a bit softer but she can still hold it.....she loves it! We have been out for lunch a few times and at first i took food with me but now she shares whatever im having! I've breastfed her exclusively for the first 6 months which has been fab coz im not the most organised of people and i've been able to feed her whereever we've been...what i love about BLW is that it is a continuation of this...i know i can get her food from whereever we are coz it doesn't need much if any preparation. As this is my first baby i have never weaned a child in the usual way so i cant compare theses two approches, I have got some raised eyebrows and questioning looks but it works for us and i think its great!! xx
  • Options
    Tink will eat anything we do, she's a better eater than her cousins. An average day for her would be:

Breakfast

A slice of toast cut into soliders
    A weetabix, drizzled with milk to make soft
    10 grapes
    A banana (sliced for breakfast but broken in half for snacks)
    A clementine (or other small orange)

Lunch

Egg Bread soliders

Dinner

Whatever we're having, we don't really change much for her, she's even had Chicken Korma at the local Indian, Spag Bol...

Snacks

Fruit (she doesn't like apples though)
    Baby biscuits
    Baby Juice

We have been doing BLW for four months and she is a fantastic eater, I often get comments from people when we eat out saying how well she is eatinf or that she is a better eater than their toddler. It makes it all the more impressive that she is so tiny (four months in size)!

Gagging is a normal part of the process. Babies have two safety mechanisms to stop them choking, tongue thrust reflex and their gagging reflex is higher than an adults. When you spoon feed you bypass this so a baby is more likely to choke, this means that the only size you need to cut food to is something they can hold, but that pretty quickly becomes unnecessary as their fine motor skills improve with BLW. There isn't a reported case of a BLW baby choking, but there are plenty of babies that have choked weaning with purees.