Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Unbelievable!

....that's all I can say! image Just to clarify, I mean the bus driver throwing her off not the mummy feeding her baby! :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253678/Young-mother-thrown-bus-accused-indecent-exposure-breastfeeding-baby.html

Replies

• Options
    WOW - Surely the driver should have been disciplined - there was no mention as to what he was told.
    I had the same problem when BF in my car in a car park I even had a blanket over so nothing was visible but I was still greeted with shocked/appaled faces from men and women with one couple saying very loudly that is disgusting you should be ashamed of yourself showing that in public it is for behind closed doors. I wasn't very nice and shoed them a certain finger (couldn't say anything as i had my 3 year old in the passenger seat next to me.
    People obviosuly have no respect for natural things anymore!!!
  • Options
    Outrageous! How people can be offended by bf is utterly beyond me!
    I can't believe people commented on alfie and oskars mummy in her OWN car! Behind closed doors???? What has this nation become? Bf is so natural and normal! As mammals we make milk for our offspring...it's nature. I have always advocated bf and now as a bf mummy I am even more strident. I know some women really struggle... God knows I have and have to use formula, but for people to be that against it beggars belief. How could the passengers on the bus not protest? A mum and 6 week old being put off a bus in RAIN?
    I have on many occasion pointed out that the weird unnatural thing is to drink cows milk..... after all it is made for baby cows!!!

MJx
  • Options
    I don't breastfeed partly because i'd kill him if I did now, partly because neither he or I took to it, when there weren't risks to him. BUT I massively admire anyone who does, who perserveres and who gets the joy that ultimately comes with it.

I reguarly use first buses I would if I had been a passenger on that bus stook up for the poor woman, but I find most drivers very rude anyway if they've made a decision your off. One was driving so stupidly last week they didnt allow me time to get off set off whilst I was wheeling pram out and knocked me and pushchair over then blamed me as everyone else had got off!

Breastfeeding is very natural im always proud if I see a mother breastfeeding her child in public never offended disgusted etc, the world sometimes is completely bonkers!

x x x
  • Options
    now - the article and what happened is shocking... but read the COMMENTS left by the absolute IDTIOTS of society. even worse. my blood is boiling at the ignorance and small minded-ness of some people. i had to leave a comment on there myself in the end!
  • Options
    I completely agree, the comments are horrendous, there are some especially horrible ones from women who say they think BF is disgusting... I didn't breastfeed, but completely support anyone who does anywhere they want to do it. I hate attitudes like the ones shown on that forum!!

Jx
  • Options
    that is so nasty, they say breast is best but only if you do it at home or locked in a toilet poor babe and woman.
  • Options
    OMG!!!! Poor woman! I think it's ridiculous, to say it should be behind closed doors makes it sound like some sordid thing that needs hiding. I've only been approached once, by an old lady, and she told me I should be feeding in the loo. I said something about her pooing in the restaurant and she shut up.

I haven't read the comments, I shouldn't though should I.... I'll get on my extremely high horse...
  • Options
    I was disgusted at some of the comments left! Most were positive and supportive of the woman and bf in public. But there are some shocking ones! Comparing bf in public to urinating in public for example!!!! I can't believe that some negative comments were by women either. It makes me so angry that some people actually think that there is something wrong or horrible about a mummy feeding a baby and that it should be hidden away from sight. What exactly in wrong it? If it makes anyone feel uncomfortable then they clearly have a problem and should confront their issues! Ha ha I am getting carried away now!! xx
  • Options
    i stupidly went back on this morning, and the comments only get worse. its so sad to think that thats the reality of our society. such narrow minded unsupportive people out there.

there are people saying it's wrong to bf infront of children.... wtf?! why?

if evie was to see a mum bf'ing i'd simply say "that babies getting milk from its mummy" simple as, and knowing kids they'd just accept it as "normal". such a shame people feel forced to shy away.
  • Options
    Its so sad that so many are still offended and horrified by a woman publically breastfeeding her baby.

Wills is now 9.5 months and if I'm out I do still feed him in public. I also go to a mother and baby group where some woman are feeding children at 18 months plus...

I am proud to still be breastfeeding and hope somehow in the future society will change x
  • Options
    I cant even start to comment on this issue - i'd never stop. :\(

I am glad that bus driver doesn't live round here :evil: - the last place round here that kicked out a bf mother was shut down by the sheer public support for bf. Never sold a coffee/cake again after kicking her out image Bet they regret that.

xx
  • Options
    OMG - what is this world coming too! How on earth can it be seen as indecent exposure? Surely she would be branded an unfit mother if she left her baby to cry for food???? Just absolutely shocking!
    I have BF and now use formula and was never comfortable bf in public through personal choice but if I see a lady doing it I feel utter admiration and pride!
    What an absolute disgusting pig, I hope he is disciplined for it!
    Icecreamlover - Serves them right eh!
  • Options
    It's crazy. You just know that those people likening it to public urination think they're really clever for coming up with that comparison, even though it doesn't make any sense. I can cry on a bus, can't I? THat's natural. I can sneeze on a crowded bus, even when there's a bloody swine flu 'epidemic' and wipe my nose on my sleeve and not be chucked off. This article makes me into a millitant breast feeder, and that's the last thing I should be!

Still, most hilarious thing for me is reading the comments from people, definitely at least one man, not sure about the others, saying "Surely the baby could've waited 20 minutes until it got home." My husband laughed his tea out his nose. Make Jak wait 20 minutes for a feed? You must be joking. Only if you want your ears to bleed. Why do people seem to think babies are just being a pain? They aren't small adults, they're BABIES!!! It's not as though you can reason with them!

When did we become such a child-hostile society? I'd even go so far as to say we're family-hostile in some respects. It's such a shame.
  • Options
    Good old Matthew Wright on The Wright Stuff just said it was unbelievable, nice one! He said it should be illegal to have thrown her off. Hurrah!!!
  • Options
    i'm literally so shocked by this!!! and by the comments! what a disgrace! i cant beleive one lady wrote "I think I would have complained too. Not nice in public. If you want to do this sort of thing, then stay at home!!" !!!!!!!!!! i'm actually speachless!!

• Options
    Its just sooo hypocritical! Its ok for people to wear next to nothing on the beach and sunbathe topless and men with their shirts off. But not ok for a woman to feed her baby when she is covered up! Hmmm!!

One man commented that it makes men feel uncomfortable, WTF!?! Gets me thinking that that is the reason scantily clad women are ok everywhere but breastfeeding in public is not because it makes some men feel uncomfortable to think of a boob in a babies mouth and not just as a sexual object! :roll: Shame on women who go along with that!
    Thankfully those views seem to be in the minority x
  • Options
    Ladies,

Please remember that Daily Mail readers thankfully don't make up the majority of the UK population.

I saw this story yesterday and couldn't believe it. Although, maybe because I'm older, I would have stayed on the bus and got him to call the police and see what happened.

I just don't get how some people think that breastfeeding entails you having to whip out your entire breast - the people who are 'offended and disgusted' by it are obviously those who've never actually seen anyone breastfeed, as you actually see very little and if the baby's in a sling or has a blanket or waterfall cardigan covering them you literally don't see anything!

xxx
  • Options
    It is illeagal to ask a bf mum to stop feeding!

www.babiesnappies.co.uk/.../breastfeeding-in-public-the-laws-made-clear/

Quote from the website - UK mothers who breastfeed their children, are celebrating after the government clarified today that mothers are, and always have been, free to breastfeed in public places. Breastfeeding mothers are also protected in law under the provision of goods, services and facilities section of the Sexual Discrimination Act when breastfeeding, whatever the age of the baby, in places such as cafes, restaurants, libraries, surgeries etc.

She should have got him to call the police and he should be sacked. She could even take him to court if she saw fit.
  • Options
    It is illeagal to ask a bf mum to stop feeding!

www.babiesnappies.co.uk/.../breastfeeding-in-public-the-laws-made-clear/

Quote from the website - UK mothers who breastfeed their children, are celebrating after the government clarified today that mothers are, and always have been, free to breastfeed in public places. Breastfeeding mothers are also protected in law under the provision of goods, services and facilities section of the Sexual Discrimination Act when breastfeeding, whatever the age of the baby, in places such as cafes, restaurants, libraries, surgeries etc.

She should have got him to call the police and he should be sacked. She could even take him to court if she saw fit.
  • Options
    I am utterly disgusted after reading that and actually feel very ashamed to be British as this seems a common view in this country. Some of the comments are disgraceful and completely vile. I can't believe a WOMAN finds seeing a woman breastfeeding as a offensive as seeing a man with a beer gut?! :evil: What frickin' planet is she on for godsake?! I couldn't actually read them all as I was afraid of causing my laptop serious harm. xx