Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

does housework take a back seat?

like the title says... does anybody else let housework pile up??

my house just seems to look like a bomb has hit it 24.7 since LO arrived. i try not to let it get dirty, but tidy is a different story. my ironing pile is like the leaning tower of pizza... i cant get to my sink for dishes, my sitting room is like an obstacle course of toys, my coffee table is piled high with mail, bank statements etc which have needed filing for months, my washing basket has over flown completely... the list is endless..

evie only has half an hour cat naps during the day and needs entertained/watched all of the time. when she is asleep getting myself washed and dressed and prep-ing bottles is my first priority. when hubbys around and i get to blitz the place it's only a matter of hours before we're back to square one.

i always imagined myself as some super woman, brilliant hands on happy mummy.. rather like mary Poppins, sexy wife always dressed to impress OH, anthia turner style house-keeper. my goodness, i'm everything but! am i the only one who cant juggle it all? or do you all live in sparkley clean spic and span homes? i always imagine that you do. and that im the only one with a pigs stye!

Replies

• Options
    Housework!! Whats that??

My washing basket is always full to the top even though I usually do 1 washing every day. Luckily I have a dishwasher which has been a god send to me but I still hand wash bottles, bowls and spoons. Ironing is something that iv never done, you might wonder why i never iron anything and thats because Im a bit anal when it comes to my washing. Everything gets folded going into the machine and as soon as its done its given a good shake then hung up and folded away when its dry with very few creases.

My lo sleeps for about an hour in the mornings so I run around like a headless chicken trying to get everything done then but there are always jobs needing done but just dont have the time to do them all.
  • Options
    I dont think many of us have time for housework if were truely honest!

Your house sounds like mine! lol
    I do hoover every morning as of the dog and the oh is a plasterer and gets dust everywhere but after about an hour it looks like a tip again! The washing pile is endless, don't do ironing, hang up the dry clothes and just let the creases fall out! I eventually get around to the washing up when Ruby is in bed!

Ruby tends to have an hours nap morning/early afternoon, but by the time i've had a shower, got dressed and grabbed a quick bite to eat...she's awake!

And the oh thinks i have it easy sat at home all day and can't understand why somethings don't get done!

xxx
  • Options
    My lo is nearlly 9 months and still only sleeps for 30mins and at no fixed time (never has).
    Housework is not something that has been done in the past 9 months, we hoover and dust and wipe surfaces but everything else is a if you get a chance thing.
    I have decided unless you have a great baby that sleeps for ages or lets you get on you may aswell accept the fact that for the first year your house will rarely be tidy.
    I say the first year as I have noticed an improvement in the amount of time my lo allows me to get on with things now and am hoping that this will continue and soon I will be able to give her something to occupy her and get on with something myself (maybe I'm dreaming!)
  • Options
    hey hun, my house is just the same my daughter only sleeps little during the day. (about 20 mins allday at the most.) then at night she takes ages to drop off so its always late by the time i eventually get finished sorting her out. (feeding/trying to settle her)
    Then by the time ive made tea, eaten, washed up, done other bits & bats its bed time.
    I find myself never getting 5 mins to sit down myself let alone housework! My oh works fulltime, so i think he thinks he doesnt need to muck in. Dont get me wrong he does help a bit, but i end up going over what he has done so its pointless!
    Lucky enough my mum visits, so watches my daughter while i have a quick clean round, or if she needs feeding (i breastfeed) i will sort her & my mum will have a clear round for me. Otherwise i wouldnt get nowt done.
    Caz x x
  • Options
    Oh I hate the fact that my house gets so messy. Bathroom desperately needs cleaning!!! I manage to keep on top of the washing and washing up and try and pick up a bit downstairs before bedtime but otherwise things only get done if I send hubby out with lo on his days off or if cole actually naps for a decent amount of time. My hubby is good at helping out (he's washing up now)

Cole is 4 months now and I've found that I can get away with sticking him in his bouncy chair or bebe pod in the kitchen for about 10 mins while I do stuff - especially if the washing machine is on cause it fascinates him and I'm hoping that as he gets older he'll be able to occupy himself better so I can get bits done. Next time my parents decide to turn up I'm just gonna leave them with cole and I'll clean the bathroom!! It'll save me from cringing at the baby way my mother talks to him!
  • Options
    Ditto!!

Plus I work from home!! Violet even at 5 months is very, very good at letting me get on with work and seems to know that when I sit down with laptop she will kick about on her playmat for a good hour. Just wish I could let her do that when I needed to do housework, but cannot just leave her lying on the floor because of dogs...cats etc etc

So I have just sat down now and already have work emails that need responding to and my brain wont work!!!

Just to make it even harder I am 6 weeks pregnant & 41 yrs young !!!!
  • Options
    My house is exactly the same. Kara only sleeps for half hours at a time too and in that time you get very little done. Her naps are at no set time either so I can't say what or when I am going to get something done. She needs entertained when she is not sleeping as she gets bored very quickly on her own. My ironing is bad at the minute. I never let it go as bad as it is now. I have to say I am not that bad at keeping up with my washing or my dishes as I have a dishwasher. My living room looks like a bomb has hit it until she goes to bed at night. As for me getting washed its hard. I have to wait till hubby comes home from work before I get to wash my hair lol. My bedroom floor is sitting ready to be moped for the past 2 days and still isn't done. Oops.
  • Options
    I seemed to cope well with housework in the beginning, but as lo is getting older (he's only 18 weeks!lol) he takes up so much time, i used to put him down for a sleep and know i had a couple of hours spare but now its such a mission to get him to sleep then he only sleeps for half an hour so things just don't seem to get done anymore, i'm having to ask hubby to sort our washing and stuff which i hate coz he messes up my system!! lol
    Thing is i have 3 indoor cats so i really need to keep on top of the hoovering etc!! argh!!!
  • Options
    Am I the only person who doesn't do any ironing then??
  • Options
    I never iron Kia - thought that's what a tumble drier was for!!!
  • Options
    Ive started ironing as i need it thats how big my pile is now!!:roll: :lol:
    Caz x x
  • Options
    I have used my iron twice in 15 months!!! Both times were to iron that hemming stuff onto a creation my daughter had made!!!

I just catch everything in time from the drier and put it onto hangers, lazy I know!

• Options
    So is there some secret art to tumble dryer use that makes things come out uncrumpled then? I've only just got a dryer and never used one before. how your life changes when you have a baby..sold my motorbike, bought a dryer..sad eh!!

• Options
    Hi i never iron either my house is so bad my mum has even offered to pay for a cleaner once a week im thinking of taking her up on the offer lol oh and couldnt live without washing machine,dryer and dishwasher they are always on especially washing machine lol
  • Options
    What's this ironing thing you talk of? image
    Morgana only cat naps as well and then I'm usually have to quickly wipe the surfaces in the kitchen, empty/fill the dishwasher and put the washing on as well as cooking her food ready to be frozen. I try to tidy around her in the front room but she has discovered how to throw toys a really long way now! She also hates being in the room on her own for longer than 2 minutes and starts screaming until I'm back with her.
    Most of my house is a bombsite sadly, my mil gave me loads of dirty looks the last time she stayed. I wonder if they just stuffed the kids in a corner in the 60's for a few hours to do housework cause I can barely figure out when to do the bathroom upstairs!
  • Options
    Ok i am a freak! I have to have my house clean from top to bottom everyday, i even clean my windows everyday! I think i might actually have a ocd type thing when it come to this! LOL
    I am very lucky that Ellie is a very content baby and can play on her own for up to an hour at a time and is happy sitting talking to me when im cleaning, i involve her all the time when im doing it and talk her through it and she giggles and laughes! I love ironing, its so relaxing! LOL
    I have stopped cleaning my skirting boards evey day now, just once a week as i have a sore back from i had Ellie and cant pull the sofa [big heavy bugger of a thing] out and put it back and the bed is a nighmare too as it is an old antique bed with no wheels on the bottom.
    Ok re-reading this i am a bloody freak of nature! LOL
  • Options
    I swear by Spencer's babywalker. I can pop him in and hoover around him, I need to hoover everyday cos we have a cat. If I need to hang some washing outside (no tumble dryer) then I pop the walker on the patio. If I need to wash-up (no dishwasher) then the walker comes into the kitchen.
    Seriously, I have no idea how I coped before Spence was old enough to go in the walker.

I don't iron at all. The only thing that gets pressed are my linen trousers and I only do them just before I wear them.

I do have to add that I am incredibly lucky that Spence naps for 3 hours a day in his cot upstairs which allows me to get things done (or sit here on the computer, LOL). I take my hat off to you ladies who's LO don't nap.
  • Options
    I think I too have a slight OCD as I'm a bit of a clean freak, friends call me "monica"!! But my problem is i'm now working 4 full days!

try doing the bloody housework then! I totally freaked out yesterday cause my mil turned up while I was trying to get housework done so me and oh ended up having a blooy row cause he said i'm a nut case!!

I have become a nut case since having a baby............................
  • Options
    Hmmmm, housework - remind me what that is?!?!? I'm sat in the lounge and looking round I can see a huge pile of ironing on the chair in the corner which was abandonned when I had to go collect poorly boy from nursery, a sideboard covered in letters & bills etc plus spare nappies and wipes, Evie's playmat and lots of cushions on the floor (Joe won't leave them on the sofa!!) The dining room table is covered with coats, a changing mat and Evie's nappies plus various files and folders cos I was trying to get some filing done this morning. The kitchen looks like a tornado hit it at some point and the utility room is an explosion of washing and drying!! I've just convinced my poorly 3 year old that bed is the best option and 7 week old Evie is napping in her bouncer so I'm going to run round like a loon and try to get the house looking a bit less like a hovel. The phrase fighting a losing battle springs to mind but I like a challenge!
    I'm sure it was never this untidy when we only had Joseph but maybe I'm just kidding myself!!

• Options
    I swear I clean the kitchen everyday as its the room we use the most but it never seems tidy or clean! However last week i bought a new JML mop so i kicked joshua and oh out on saturday so i could clean kitchen from top to bottom and so far its stayed like that...I give it a week till its a mess again. I hoover once a week cos we live in a 3 storey house so it takes forever to hoover stairs and all the rooms. Clean the bathroom 1/2 times a week. Change sheets on our bed and joshua's cot weekly. And do washing 3 times a week. All this gets done when joshua is asleep or if he is entertained by his walker etc I dont really dust i just use the end of the hoover nozzel on the skirting boards and oh irons his work shirts and thats it! My house always seems a mess yet I dont seem to stop...maybe since joshua is asleep i should be doing h/w now rather than being on here oops xxx

ps Diane...yes you are a weirdo but in a lovely houseproud way! xxx