Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby keeps rolling onto tummy at night

I spent the whole of last night putting my son back on his back as he kept rolling onto his tummy (he's just worked out how to do it and wants to try the whole time). Obviously I can't spend the next year turning him over, but am so worried about cot death as the advice to put them on their back is everywhere. Will a sleep positioner help or is he too active for one? Does anyone else have a lo who sleeps on their tummy?

Debbie and Joshua (4 and half months and a right wriggler!)

Replies

• Options
    hi hun. i have always put my lo on her tummy to sleep ever since she could lift her head, purely for the fact she slept so much better.
    at first i was up checking her every 2 minutes, but quickly learnt she was fine.
    once they start rolling there's not much you can do, he's obviously more comfortable on his tummy.
    xxx
  • Options
    I agree with Leona, there's not much you can do once they start rolling. I was panicked when my son first started sleeping on his tummy. Then I was even more panicked when he started sleeping face down!
  • Options
    I have/had the same problem as you and went to get a sleep positioner but they were only upto 6 months which is no good once your lo starts to roll! I just rolled up bath towels and stuck them down either side of him and he stopped rolling image x
  • Options
    Gracie also ends up on her tummy by the morning....she sleeps so much better like that too! She has reflux and I've read this position is best for them and when she was tiny she'd only sleep on my chest on her tum. Glad she's not still doing that!
    Btw she's 5mth and has been doing this 3 week or so.
  • Options
    thanks for the replies. Last night when I put him down he rolled straight onto his tummy, then had the best nights sleep ever. He is able to roll both ways and can lift his head and shoulders up when on his front so I guess he will be fine. That's obviously the way it's comfortable for him.
  • Options
    I believe that baby's do sleep better on their stomach, as my lil boy is now 7 weeks and sleeps on his tummy and has been ever since he was able to lift head (4weeks).

When he used to sleep on his back I found that he only slept for about 3 hours, but now that he sleeps on his stomach- I put him to bed around 9 or 10pm and he would sleep all the way through until 5 or 6am.

So it obvious that he's found his comfort position!

• Options

Hiya I have the exact same problem. My wee boy keeps flipping over on his stomach during the night and can't get back. I have tried everything to stop him from doing it as he has not figured out how to get back over yet. He has been doing this for nearly two weeks. He has just turned six months. Any suggestions.

• Options
    There's no harm in letting them sleep on their tummys as long as they don't have a pillow, my kids slept all night on their tummys as they were most comfortable that way.