Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby sleeping?

My baby is 6 weeks old and feeds on demand. She generally sleeps for an hour in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon. From about 5pm onwards she generally feeds more and sleeps on and off on top of me until 10pm. At 10pm we give her a big feed (express bottle) and she goes to sleep in her crib until about 3am and then sleeps until about 6.30am which is all fine.

However I'm wondering if I should be putting her to bed at 7pm and then waking her at 10pm. If I do start to put her bed at 7pm (if she goes down!) and then goes down at 10pm will she still sleep until 3am? I'm conscious that I may be starting a bad habit by not putting her to bed at 7pm and just letting her sleep on me until 10pm.

If you do wake your baby at 10pm how long is your feed or baby awake for?

Did anyone let their baby sleep on them between 7-10 and have problems putting their children to bed in the future?

My husband isn't keen on her going to bed at 7pm as he wants to spend some time with her when he gets home from work!

Any advice or experience?

Replies

• Options
    At 6 weeks i personally wouldnt try and put her down at 7pm, i tried this and my baby was awake half the night after previously sleeping from 11pm - 7am. Your baby sounds like she is doing well, i would let her develop her own routine. When i tried putting my baby down at 7pm he would sleep fine but think that she was going down for his eight hours and like i say be awake in the night so we tried waking at 10pm for a feed and then he would be awake till 12am sometimes 1am. I allowed him to develop his own routine and basically he sleeps from 7.30- 9.30pm and then fed at 10pm and asleep again for 11ish. which suits us well. Just enjoy her and worry about routine later.
  • Options
    Great thats probrably just what we wanted to hear. When did he start sleeping 7.30-9.30? and is it in his cot/crib? Izzy gets quite tired around 8-8.30, so may try putting her down for a bit. We are getting a good night's sleep with this routine, so probrably best to stick with it and hope that she doesn't form bad habits later - like not going to bed.
    Click