Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Gripe Water?

Can i give my 4 and half week old gripe water?

Health visitor said wait till she is 8 weeks old but on bottle it says 1 month old

She has been crying and lots of wind ALL day been awake for 11 hours although she is asleep now!!

Does it work? We have been giving her Infacol but i dont think she has colic just cant bring up her wind but she is not cryijng all the time or bringing legs up and she stops crying when you bonce with her or pick her up

Please tell me it works!?!?!?!

xxx

Replies

• Options
    I've always used it from 4wks - like suzanne3, we have counted down the days too lol I've never had a prob with it and with my 4th, he hated it so I used to put it in his milk and it worked just as well.

xx
  • Options
    ive always used it from 4 wks and found it works better if you put it in there milk , one of our hv werent impressed with me for doing this and i told other mums what i did and they tried it, and they told other people and now hv tells mums off the record to try it
  • Options
    I used this with harri from 4 weeks and it was fab! its been around from years, the old ones are always the best
    xxx
  • Options
    i used gripe water from 1 month, but i only used it after the fact (when lo already had belly ache and needed to trump), i used a combination of dentinox and infacol for during the actual feeds (not both at same time but use infacol 2 days then dentinox 2 days etc) so lo didnt get used to the same one.
  • Options
    Isn't dentinox a cradle cap shampoo?

I used gripe water for Kyra at 3.5 weeks, but less than half a teaspoon as her wind got bad and I thought nothing could be worse..so gave it a try.

She's 6 weeks now and hardly has any. It usually brought up the wind within 5 mins of taking it.
  • Options
    I used this on Lily from 4 weeks. Infacol made Lily sick so like the others have said I counted down the days until she got to 4 weeks. It worked brilliantly. I used it at every other feed. Lily loved it - I think she thought it was a treat I was giving her!
  • Options
    We used it at 4 weeks, we just put a bit on his dummy. He loves it! It tastes minty!
  • Options
    we used to dip his dummy in it too he loved it and helped him settle to sleep.i swear buy it.xxx
  • Options
    I was told to dip the dummy but after a while i couldnt wait for 8 weeks. She was about 6 weeks. but do as the bottle says i reckon.
  • Options
    I used Nurse Harvey's Gripe Water its has got no alcohol in it. x
  • Options
    I tried giving my 1 month old gripe water via a medicine dispenser after each feed and she hated it so we don't use it. I will try dispensing the gripe water into each of her feeds instead. Can I still use Infacol at the beginning of each feed whilst using gripe water?

Also, can someone tell me what's going on here: sometimes after feeds she spews up a lot of her milk - it's not curdled or smelly, just undigested milk. Could it be because she's not winding/burping properly during her feed so towards the end the milk she's ingesting simply sits on an air bubble and she coughs it out?

If this is the case, will gripe water in her milk help her in this situation do you think?
  • Options
    Thanks ladies

I have just fed Amy and gave her 2.5 mls she did big burp and now fast asleep - THANK GOD!!!!

I thought i was in for another day of crying she is so calm - thanks for all your replies so pleased i listen to you guys and not hv!

xxxxx
  • Options
    i think they stopped making it with alcohol in
    xxx
  • Options
    If im giving infacol with each feed can i still use gripe water if baby has a bit of trapped wind? wasnt sure if i cud combine the two?
  • Options
    I tried giving my 1 month old gripe water via a medicine dispenser after each feed and she hated it so we don't use it. I will try dispensing the gripe water into each of her feeds instead. Can I still use Infacol at the beginning of each feed whilst using gripe water?

Also, can someone tell me what's going on here: sometimes after feeds she spews up a lot of her milk - it's not curdled or smelly, just undigested milk. Could it be because she's not winding/burping properly during her feed so towards the end the milk she's ingesting simply sits on an air bubble and she coughs it out?

If this is the case, will gripe water in her milk help her in this situation do you think?

I think of they bring up undigested milk at the end of a feed its simply that they were full up so there was no room. It does them no harm at all, just creates more washing for you.
    I've never used gripe water as Nathan dosent seem to suffer with his wind, although he rarely will burp after a feed, we have given up winding him as it makes no difference. He'll burp eventually but cant force it. I might give the gripe water a go though if it will speed him up a bit!
  • Options

HV said I can use gripe water aswell as still using infacol as gripe water is herbal nothing medicated in it