Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

She won't take milk out of a beaker

My little girl is nearly 13mths and has 2 bottles a day. I'm desperately trying ti get her to take her milk out of a beaker but failing miserably. I've spent a fortune on different beakers but she just takes a few sips then stops. She has water with meals and throughout the day out of her tommee tippee beaker and is fine with this. Any advice ladies?

Replies

• Options
    I didn't really have this problem with Brooke as she was happy to take any drink out of her beaker once she'd worked out how to use it. We also used the tommee tippee one, the one from 4 months as it came out easily.
    The only thing I found is that the milk had to be of a warm temperature for her to take it and to be honest, once she took drinks from a beaker I didn't let her have a bottle.
    In your case, it may be just as simple as the fact that the bottle is more of a comfort thing so you could just try going cold turkey. As she's over 1 then if she doesn't take the amount of milk you want it shouldn't be a problem as she should be getting enough nutrients etc from her food. And if she's happy to take water then she shouldn't dehydrate either.
    Don't know if that's useful or not but hope it goes well!
  • Options
    I agree with brookesmummy, my lo would only take warm milk from a tomme tippe cup. She willr arely drink it cold unless really thirsty and she will take a few sips here and there. Im guesing it must be something to do with having warm breast milk.

If she takes frm toppee tippe for water and would stick with jsut taht beaker. I ahve brought a couple fo others. She dislike the ones you ahve to suck, and prefers the free flowing ones.

Have you tried warming the milk for her? If she is usuing the bottles for comfort. Maybe the warm milk will help aid the transfer.
  • Options
    If it's any consolation hun, my lo has not taken ANY milk since 9 months (she is now 12 and a half). She stopped breastfeeding and refused any milk from then on in any form - bottle, beaker, cup... image

She drinks water fine from any sort of beaker or cup but not milk! :roll:

I give her milk in her porridge in the morning and then plenty of cheese, yogurts and butter to make up for it.

xx
  • Options
    I agree with Joey08, stick with the beaker she is used to - I tried several then wondered why on earth I was doing that when he was used to the tommee tippee ones. My LO wouldn't have milk from a beaker at first, he'd get quite upset - but after a bit of perseverence he now guzzles it down - we changed over the morning milk first, then when we completely dropped the bottle he didn't even seem to notice. It was trial and error but what worked for us in the end was giving milk in a beaker when he was expecting water (with his breakfast, he'd usually have the milk after), rather than a beaker when he was expecting a bottle, as that would just upset him - just a couple of oz at first until he got used to it but if he thought it was water at least he'd put it in his mouth and although not what he was expecting he realised he was ok. It did take a few weeks for him to have a full drink of milk from a beaker, but we started a bit earlier.

When we moved to cows milk he would only take a few sips, so I just kept offering it twice a day, let him have what he wanted, and within a couple of weeks he's draining a beaker morning and night. How long have you been trying beakers? It might just be taking her a while to get used to it.

At 13 months, milk is really for the calcium, so it'd be ok to just let her have a few sips for a few days, rather than then topping up with a bottle - you might need to go cold turkey with the bottle so she has to get used to the beaker of milk - is she getting upset, or just not drinking it? My HV advised not to force it though, give her the beaker, let her have what she wants then leave it - she'll probably gradually start drinking more.

I realise I've given two different ways of doing it here - both worked for us in different circumstances, not sure which if either will work for you, just a couple of suggestions.

[Modified by: *Sunflower81* on August 12, 2009 09:27 PM]

• Options
    my lo is 18 months and has 3 bottles a day. i have tried with lots of beakers cups but she will not drink milk from them. she drinks loads of juice from cups but jsut spits the milk out. i have allways had milk issues with my child and i am just greatful she drinks any milk at all. she wont drink cows or follow on in fact she is on infant milk still cus it sthe only milk she will drink. just wanted to say that dont feel like she has to have it from a cup. if she is having water or juice from acup then she is learning how to use one. i get fed up of people making me feel bad about daisy having a bottle they think they are asuperior parent cus their child is drinking from a cup. some will some wont. is much rather my lo gets her calcium and if people think im a bad parent then so be it. xx