Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Poo!

Morning ladies,
I am a little concerned as lo usually has a poo at least once a day but he didn't go at all yesterday and hasn't been today yet either :\? I hate to sound neurotic about it, but last night when I was giving him his bedtime feed he started straining a lot, to the point of him actually crying so I assumed he was managing to go but with difficulty, however, when I checked his nappy, it was still clean :roll: I am now really worried that he's getting constipated - he is 11 weeks old and still exclusively bf.

Any advice or experience on this would be greatly received! ;\)

Thanks,

Becky x

Replies

• Options
    If he is exclusively bf it's very unlikely if impossible for him to be constipated, bf babies who aren't weaned can go up to 10 days without pooing & it's normal. Also babies are not constipated unless the poo is hard. You could always give him a nice warm bath and tummy massage if he is struggling, but I bet anything he will sort himself out soon, try not to worry. My 13 month old used to poo at the same time every day without fail at that age but now he's all over the place and can either not go for days or do 3 poos in a day.
  • Options
    If he is still dribbling and his eyes still look normal and shiny, and you are getting wet nappies then he isn't dehydrated - so don't worry.

At this age babies don't have a regular "poo pattern" and it is totally normal for them to go a few days without doing much. when it comes it will probably be a real explosion though - so prepare yourself.

He might want to feed more often in the hot weather (as he will get thirsty) but your boobs should compensate for that by making your milk more watery and thirst quenchingy (which will also make it less filling and mean he wants to feed more often).

xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies; see thats the thing, he normally poos at around lunch time each day which is why I am finding it so odd. Perhaps he will surprise me later then and make up for not going sooner with a mega poo! LOL