Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice on baby monitors, thermometers and bottle sterilisers

Hi

I am gate crashing but wondered if you girls would be able to give any advice.

We are looking to get the last few bits we need and have waited for the sales to try and save a bit of money.

I have been told that digital monitors and thermometers are better but have no idea about brands etc that are either good or bad.

I am hoping to breastfeed but would like to be able to express so that hubbie can have a go too and also if we ever get to go out again then someone else can feed the baby! I was thinking of an electric pump but again have no idea on which ones are any good. Also I am quite big in the bust department, I was 34G before pregnancy so are there any that fit better for that. I don't know if there is much difference between bottles or if it is just a case of going with which ones you like the look of.

Thank you for any help as just feel very lost when look on the websites/ in shops as to what to get. :\?

xxx

36+6

Replies

• Options
    Hi MrsRoss -I'm no help with the pump thing, but I can tell you that we bought the Tommee Tippee Electric Steam steriliser, and wish i'd bought a microwave steriliser.

We bought the Brother Max 3 in 1 thermometer - it has a stand so that you can sit in somewhere in your house and it gives you the house temp, but then turns into an ear or forehead thermometer for when baby is ill. Initially this was great, but when my son was ill a few weeks ago we found that the ear and forehead readings were totally inaccurate. The reading told us his temp was 37.6, but i thought he was hotter than that, and when we took him out to the GP (very cold day, and i wanted to cool him down so didn't put a coat on him) the GP's Braun thermometer said he was 39.4 - if anything he should've cooled down. This was quite worrying, as if we'd believed the thermometer reading we wouldn't have taken him to the docs and found out he had tonsilitis.

So we've since bought the Braun Thermoscan, and so far (although it's only been a few weeks and used just a few times) this one's much better, although more expensive.

In respect of baby monitors, I'd agree that digital ones are best -- but which set you choose is up to you. There are loads to choose from, with tv monitors and breathing sensors etc, but we settled for the Tomy Walkabout Premier, and we're very happy with those (although these are the 3rd set of monitors we've had - we bought a Lindam set which were rubbish and broke straight away, and then a Tixylix set (although they were analogue, and were dreadful) - but the ones we have now are very good, and give you the temperature reading in the baby's room too for added reassurance.

Sorry to ramble, but hope that helped a bit - enjoy the rest of your pregnancy xx

xXx
  • Options
    I can only advise on what i brought, but we've not regretted our choices and feel they work well for us.

We have the advent thermometer, for bath and room, used now for bath only.

The bt monitors are great and have a room temp also on the screen, digital and very clear with talk back facilty, night light and melodies etc.

We have the tommee tippee steriliser with the closer to nature bottles, havent had any problems and sterilises quickly,

Look out for special offers, we did for the sterilser anyway from Asda at baby event. we got the monitors from amazon (cheapest we found).
  • Options
    We've got an electric pump, the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature one that I think is on offer currently in loads of places. I've got pretty big boobs and it's been fine!

I didn't bother with a steriliser, we don't have a microwave and steam ones seemed like a waste of money. I use the steriliser box that came with my TT pump, it's a microwave steriliser as well as just a big 4 pint capacity box that I sterilise the pump in. My mum uses it in the microwave if we're over at her house and it's really simple, plus you don't have to spend any extra to get it as it comes with the pump. If I've got lots of bottles to sterilise too I just use my big tupperware box as well. Easy and cheap!

We've got the Gro Egg room thermometer which I would recommend as it's a night light too, plus in my tired, sleep-deprived state the colour tells me all I need to know without having to think about numbers...

Can't comment on monitors as we don't have one, but I'm thinking of getting one for when Jak goes into his room on a more permanent basis.

Em x x x
  • Options
    Hi,

I second the BT Digital monitor reccomendation - they aren't cheap but have a built in digital thermometer which is sent to the handheld so you always know the temp even when you aren't in the room. They also have a nightlight, talkback facility and play nursery rhyme tunes! We love it!

I brought an Advent Digital steam steriliser and would have been just as well (if not better) with an old school Milton one - infact we have since brought one of these as we travel alot and this is much more portable, cheaper to run and holds more bottles!

I also brought Advent and TT bottles - and have replaced them with Dr Browns which are fab!! (and on offer at asda at the mo!)

However the advent electric breast pump was really good when I was using it and would reccommend that,

Gem x
  • Options
    sterilser wise, we have tommee tippee microwave one (closer to nature, also what bottles we had, i mix fed until ds was 7 months, so they definately helped us there),i can't recommend it enough, its portable so u can take on holiday with u etc (which is handy for us as in laws live in belgium), and doubles as a cold water steriliser which is handy if u get a power cut. also it only takes 6 minutes in our microwave and the lid doubles as a sterile work top, all in all i love it!

ear thermometer i have the summer infant digital ear thermometer, got it from tk maxx, andhas changeable ends for adults and children.

room thermometers , lol, i've been a bit stingy there lol, i got one free from the HIPP organic baby club when i joined that and the other free with a grobag, they're not didgital but the fact i have two means i know that the temp is correct lol.

baby monitor we have the fisher price lights and sounds one, was about ??30 does the job, its not digital tho, but has two frequencies and have never had any inetrference, also the transmitter bit (in babies room) doubles asz a night light, and teh receiver can e either on batteries or plugged into mains, which is handy, i tend to have it battery in the day so i can move around the house and plugged in at night (just in case batteries die whilst we're asleep), also battery powered means again fine for power cut.

breast pump...i had the avent isis manual pump, and tbh it was too hard work, i was expressing to try and give myself a break but it was actually far more tiring and time consuming than feeding him myself and i was getting bugger all out, next time i will definately be going electric and i have heard marvellous things about the medela swing pumps.

hth xx
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies - it is great to know which ones have worked well.
    Hope you all had a great christmas and have a happy new year.
    xxx