Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby Walker

Hi

I want to buy one of these, can anyone recommend one or tell me of any bad experiences with one?

Thanks

Jo x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Jo, personally I wouldn't bother as they are number1 on danger list for accidents and some babies also walk later. I have seen babies who have tipped them and landed on their face and also 1 baby who landed in the fire... Seriously not a good idea.
    Mind you I'm talking about the walkers that babies sit in but the push along walkers are fine.
    I had 1 for my eldest (with a wobbly wheel) and he was fine but I wouldn't risk it with Tom.
  • Options
    Thanks Camlo, I didnt know that, thats why I love this forum! Reece is wanting to 'stand' all the time and its killing my back but I think I will just get him an activity centre instead. Jo x
  • Options
    The stand up activity centres are a great thing no more battered furniture and the risk of a nasty accident. we have the leap frog baby learn and groove one at our nursery it is great the lo can turn it round lots of noise though. Plus it folds flat...My friend has bought archie one for his christening....
  • Options
    my lo has the baby einstien one - its fab! defo safer than a walker.
  • Options
    Have been given a second hand walker - won't be useing it now! Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    I have a door bouncer for Tom which is another safe alternative. He has about 10 mins in it and needs a nap straight after as he tires himself out!!!
  • Options
    We've been given one of those too. I'm already planning on using it when I'm cooking so that lo can see into the kitchen but not get anywhere near anything.
  • Options
    i have a walker, had no accidents, its a mothercare one with slo go wheels lo loves it as he can wizz around, i only put him in for around 30mins though. xx
  • Options
    Kirst 3 I used a slo go baby walker with my second my first had a normal baby walker she nine so they were quite common then and we did use them at nursery until a few years ago. mil has a picture of hubby in one 35 year ago and it looks like one they sell in argos as part of a set for dolls, no toys no stability metal frame with a cloth seat and hes fine.
    As with anything you have to watch your child and not leave them unattended in it. And watch the furniture...
    edited as spelling is getting worse as night goes on

[Modified by: scubavic on August 21, 2007 09:11 PM]
  • Options
    I had one with my son and he loved it (my ankles didn't though!) - as long as you keep an eye on them as with anything they are fine, the newer ones all seem to have the slo-go wheels and seem much more stable. They wouldn't sell them if they were dangerous.

I would be more worried about the door bouncers for safety - the elastic always looks like it's gonna snap! My son didn't use his for long cause i was so worried about it breaking!
  • Options
    yes def best to not leave alone in it, especially as he likes to wizz round with his blanket covering his face!
    he absoluotly dies laughing and wont let me take it away!
    he does it in the pram too, chuckeling away with his head under a blanket, strange boy. xx
  • Options
    I would not use a door bouncer would not trust the door frame.
    Our new build is not like our old house ( that was built when they made things to last) think if Archie bounced in a bouncer the whole house would fall down.
  • Options
    i live in a new build and hubby says the same thing about our house. pity cos i like the idea of the door bouncer.
  • Options
    A lot of paed physios wanted to ban baby walkers cos apparently they can delay walking and encourage toe walking. Door bouncers are also supposed to encourage toe walking but I still use mine anyway!
  • Options
    Hi i have a tippitoes bouncer like the ones that hang from the doorway but it has a frame my sister gave it to me so don't know where it was from,but i found 1 on ebay search for baby bouncer/swing it is pick up only don't know if that is any good to anyone. x
  • Options
    hiya i have a fisher price jumperoo that matt sits in and bounces up and down with activities on it.we cant have a over door bouncer either.he loves it x
  • Options
    Bumbos, Babywalkers and bouncers are both not recommended by "health professionals". Bouncers & walkers don't do anything to encourage walking and do courage toe walking, improper hip alinement and can delay walking.

But as with everything as long as you don't use it everyday and they're not in it for long & that you do plenty of proper walking practise it will be fine.

Personally I had one bought me for daniel but we found out he had cerebral palsy and his physio & occupational therepist told us not to use them at all. She said the only equipment to get babes to roll/crawl/walk is a toy that they REALLY REALLY love. pop a blanket down on the floor and watch them try & go for it. Also putting toys on the sofa and getting them to stand up against it is just as good as the play centre thingys. He's now 23 months old and just learning to walk (took his first 4 steps on his own yesterday!)

my 10 week old son won't be going in the walker either. I've seen it from the medical side as well as the normal mum side and I know it works better without the extra 'aids'. xx :\)

• Options
    i have a graco entertainer and have just started putting isaac in it he loves it, they are pricey but i got mine off ebay for ??20 what a bargain!

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/4/470/47038.png

• Options
    Hi

I have to say I used both a door bouncer & a walker & my lo loved both of them. I would say though if anyone plans to use them to only use them for short periods at a time & to keep them extremely well supervised while using them. My lo loved the independance of being able to move about on her own

Hilary
  • Options
    hi joseph has a walker that makes space ship noises he sits in it for about 15-20 mins as he gets bored cos he cant move he only 17 weeks but he hates lying on the floor and cant quite sit up yet but he does try! i move him around from floor to baby gym to play mat to walker and to my knee!! at waht age can they have a door bouncer? is it when they can hold their own head safely?