Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

weaning-what next

Hi, My daughter is 17 weeks old now and i started giving her baby rice a couple of weeks ago then i changed it to poridge which she loves as she kept waking up in early hours of the morning for a feed which is unlike her as she sleeps through the night usually. She eats that for breakfast but now has started waking early again for a feed, i am thinking of giving her a second meal in the day, could anyone tell me or advise me what i could give her as i'm not sure if to try her with fruit or veg first. Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    hi toria,when i started giving my son a 2nd meal,he was far more settled.what i used 2 do(it seems so long ago,hes 2 and a half now)was boil up different veggies,then blend it,and freeze it in little tubs.some people use ice cube trays 2 freeze it.i would def go for veg 1st,but its entirely up 2 u.hope this helps.Gayle xx
  • Options
    Hi!! I've just been reading the weaning advice on here, under the baby section. What they advise is veg first, cause if they get used to the sweet taste of fruit then they are more likely to reject the savoury taste of veg. Alot of people have suggested things like sweet potato and carrots, as they do have a sweeter flavour, but mixing the puree with some formula or rice or porridge so it still tastes a bit familiar too. I'm glad your little one is taking rice and porridge so well, I've still not started my lo yet, still a bit nervous too, that's why I am scanning the internet for as much advice as I can!!! Let us know how you get on!xx
  • Options
    After baby rice I gave my lo carrot, then other root veg like sweet potatoe as it is rare for babies to have allergies to root veg. Once she had tried a few of the sweeter veg we introduced broccoli and green beans mixed in with stuff she liked already. Recently we have introduced chicken as well which she loves. one thing to watch, especially if you are breastfeeding, is how much milk they are taking, nearly all there calories comes from the milk so don't let them fill up on carrot! Hope this helps Kerry
  • Options
    I had the same problem as you with the early morning waking. So now weaning at 11am and 5pm. The tea time feed has helped fill her up for the night. I started on baby rice & porridge and we are now onto carrot, sweet potato, squash, banana & pear. The only no no so far was Avacado she hated it. I have a copy of Annabel Karmels 100 baby purees which gives you some great ideas. Would definately recommend. I even bought mine with my advantage card points.

Good luck
  • Options
    i dont know if this helps but cow and gate used to do baby gravey and baby cheese sauce not sure if they still do but it was great to use with home made baby food
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice thats a great help. Lisa u say that u feed your baby at 11am and 5pm, do u give a bottle at those times too or do u leave it half an hour or so. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Torria - i always offer the bottle first at both 11 am & 5pm feeds then she goes onto her solids. Touch wood this is helping her sleep through the night. Last night she managed 12hrs....bliss