Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help i need a full nights sleep

My lo is 7months and still waking two or three times in the night.

I am getting a bit concerned as im due back at work in March and I dont know how I will cope without sleep,

I do try to have a routine but sometimes it does go a bit pear shaped, generally he goes to bed at about 7 - 7.30 has three meals and three 8 oz bottles, im really struggling to find the solution and wondered whether to start giving him a dream feed again as I ended giving him a bottle last night and he had the full 8oz which makes me think he's waking because he's hungry,

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Options
    Hi ya,

I've been having the same problem! My lo is 6 months old and was sleeping 12 hours from 10 weeks till 4 and half months then suddenly started to wake 3 - 5 times a night crying. It's been such hard work lately, its only in the last week that he's managed a 10 hour night and a 12 hour night and seems a lot more settled. Still getting up now and then but just needs his dummy.

It got to a point about 2 weeks ago where he was screaming as soon as i laid him down and left the room, had to rock him to sleep. Then ended up putting him in bed with me at midnight for over a week as i was so tired i gave in.

My lo also has 3 meals a day, 2 8oz and 1 7oz bottle. I changed two things in the last week and he seems to have settled a bit. I changed the times of his feeds/meals, see below

Before
    8am - 8oz milk & baby cereal
    11:30am - fruit puree & yoghurt
    3:30pm - 7oz milk & veg puree & yoghurt
    6:30pm - 8oz milk then bed

After (Now)
    8am - 8oz milk & baby cereal
    12noon - veg puree & yoghurt
    2:30pm - 7oz Milk
    5pm - Veg/chicken puree & fruit puree
    6:30pm - 8oz Milk & Bed

I think it helps that he's having his dinner at 5pm so this might be helping him to sleep through, also i've started to give him chicken and a few other bits that are more filling than just veg.

The other thing i changed was his teet size, he was still on 2's a week ago and kept leaving loads of milk every day. He now has 4's and is draining the bottle each time, bless him, he must have been getting so frustrated that he couldnt get it out quick enough that he just gave up!

Sorry for the essay but i was getting desperate a couple of weeks ago so i know how you feel. I nearly tried the dream feed but decided to leave that as my last option as i didnt want to take a step backwards. This is what seems to be working for me but you should go with your instinct. It could be teething pain?

I hope you find a solution soon.

xx
  • Options
    Hi thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

My feeding times are very similar to what you are doing now, I am still using number 2 teats so will try number 3's tomorrow as he is also leaving his milk sometimes, the only thing I stopped doing was giving him a pudding at 5 as I thought he was too full and thats why he kept leaving his bedtime bottle.

I wasn't keen either on doing a dream feed again as i stopped doing it months ago.

He has been teething again but to be honest I think he has only slept through about 10 times since birth, I also get so tired and take him into our bed which I always said I wouldn't do but its so difficult when you need to sleep.

Will give the teats a go tomorrow and try giving him on a pudding again at 5.

I was a bit concerned as my friend who has 4 children always seems surprised when she comes round and lo's in bed at 7-7.30 she thought it was far to early and thats why he wakes up but I have always read that babies should sleep about 12 hours plus i need sometime to myself by then.

I didnt realise motherhood was so confusing.

Fingers crossed

thanks

adele

• Options
    Hi me again

Just wondered when your baby sleeps in the day as your routine sounds very similar to mine, sometimes the day time naps are all over the place not sure if this is causing the problem.

Sorry sounding a bit desperate.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi ya

Don't worry about what other people think about ypur lo's bedtime, Ellis going to bed at 7pm because he's so tired by then. Most people i know with young babies put their lo to between 7 -8pm, but every baby is different.

During the day, i put Ellis down for a nap at 9am and he's always awake by 10am. He has another nap at 12:30/1pm ish, usually for about 45 mins. Then he sometimes has a nap at around 3:30/4pm ish, 30 - 45 mins. He doesnt always have this last nap though.

This works great for us as i can get washed and dressed when he sleeps at 9am. Then i can have my lunch in peace when he naps at 12:30/1pm. He fell into this napping pattern on his own so i just stuck to it.

You'll have to let me know how you get on.

xx
  • Options
    hi i also have a problem sleeper tyler like yours has only ever slept through mayb 1/2 in 9 months he wakes about 2/3 times a nite seems to b hungry his routine during day food wise goes like this .

730am breakfast cereal
    9am milk when i get back from school run
    12pm veg puree +desert
    1230pm milk
    430 veg puree +2x fromage fraise
    630 milk feed
    7pm bed

his day time sleep just doesnt seem to happen any more if i do get him down its at 11am for about 30mins enough time for me to do an exercise dvd lol then he can b up rest of the day also he dont like being put down awake but am trying to get him used to this at mo il leave him to cry for about 10mins .
    so at the mo im really trying to get a bit of a routine going as he has fallen from this and they reckon a routine regular one helps for restfull sleep.

it really annoys me when you here all these other mums who have babies sleep all nite and a couple of sleeps in the day cant wait for mine to sleep like this .

sorry cant help just thought id let you know you aint alone good luck