Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Calpol Warning!!!

2»

Replies

• Options
    we use standard paracetamol suspension, no sense in paying extra for enumbers! our pct will only prescribe paracetamol not calpol anyway
  • Options
    We use the colour-free sugar-free calpol when needed, available in Asda more so than other supermarkets

Wd check the label to see what it has in it but its in LOs room and he is asleep

Our LO has never had any probs - touch wood!
  • Options
    I always check labels for aspartame. Its illegal to give to children under 3, or to be used in products marketed at under 5s and is in fruit shoots, which I see so many toddlers drinking!!! In one study it was linked to an increased risk of miscarriage. I checked sugar free vimto this week and it has disappeared from their ingredients list.
  • Options
    My daughter seems fine with it, but surely they shouldnt put it in - do we care what colour it is???
  • Options
    We use medinol, same dose of paracetamol, E number and sugar free, tastes yum too!! xx
  • Options
    I use Calpol, or the shop's own brand, and will continue to do so. Like others have mentioned before, my doctor and NHS Direct has advised me to give it to my son, so it can't be that dangerous. I'm sure the risks are very low, and only in children susceptible to them, and I think a high temperature is much more dangerous, yet Calpol can help to reduce it.

I actually think the internet is more dangerous, you can type anything in there and it will give you horror stories, I bet you could find stories of people choking on toothbrushes but bet it won't stop you cleaning your teeth!

As a kid anytime I was ill, my mum would give me a Ribena, I read recently that Ribena is not suitable for small children! But I see kids and toddlers all the time drinking it.

The only product I will not use is any skincare product by Johnsons. That also contains chemicals which are bad for babies, and makes my son's skin very dry and cracked and gives him awful nappy rash. But this is a personal preference as I know its detrimental to my son's skin, if others continue to use it, I'm not going to condemn them!

I wonder if we looked into every product we used on our children, how many would actually come up completely safe and chemical free???
  • Options
    We use medinol too when we can & my son loves it as much as calpol! But if calpol was all we had in I would still give it to him. I guess if there is an alternative that does the same job, your child will have & doesn't contain all those E numbers then I don't see why I wouldn't use it! X
  • Options

What about giving suppositories  instead? I was in Spain and my lo was very ill 40 temperature and they gave me suppository they don't give babies oral paracetamol especially whith high temperature 

• Options

Thank you so much for your post our 4 year old has been suffering night terrors but not all the time. They are so horrible I end up in floods of tears. My mum mentioned maybe it was the calpol and I wasn't sure. Any how I had forgot about it as it was weeks ago. This evening at bed time we gave her calpol as she's running a fever. And sure enough she woke not even an hour after being a sleep having a night terror, freaking out, screaming etc. I am now positive it's the bloody calpol never again, good bye calpol.