Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Expressing breast milk for hubby to feed..?

Hi all, can anyone please advise me, my son is 6 days old, I'm pleased to say I'm sucessfully breast feeding (so far!) but I'd like to express so my hubby can help with feeds.. Is it too early to introduce bottles to my baba? will it put him off the breast? He has a dummy now n again which he has taken to..? Midwife pleased with him as he has put 2 ounces on since birth... Should I wait few more weeks b4 giving him bottle?
Marie..xx

Replies

• Options
    Hmm it is difficult as bottles can confuse babe but I think if you introduce early and only offer no more than 1x per day you should be fine. I gave my lo a bottle at about 2wks and he was fine but then I did not offer it enough and he would fight every time it was offered.
  • Options
    Hi Marie.
    I was told to wait til breatfeeding was established before introducing bottle (usually at 4-6 weeks) but I couldn't wait that long as I was desparate for a break cos my lo was feeding every hour or so!
    My oh offered him bottle of expressed milk at about 3 wks and we didn't have any probs at all.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi Marie. My lo is now 10 weeks old and is breastfed. I started giving him a bottle when he was 2 1/2 weeks and he has no problem with "breast confusion". He has a bottyle of formula every evening when my milk supply is low and he gets annoyed that he can't get any milk from me. He also has a dummy. I couldn't express my milk as he drinkls all the milk that my breasts produce. Sara. x
  • Options
    i waited til my lo was 6 weeks, recommended age to introduce bottle to stop 'nipple confusion' but it sounds like others seem to have had no probs by doing it earlier, i would wait til you both comfortable with breastfeeding though.
  • Options
    I started expressing after one week much to the annoyance of my hv but I wanted my husband to feel part of it all. Anyway, I had no difficulties with nipple confusion or any such stuff, I used the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles - don't know whether this helped to avoid the confusion. Do what feels right for you.
  • Options
    Thanks girlies, think I'll wait, we r both doing well and dont want to spoil it..
    Marie..xx