Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Waking up in the night

My little girl has just turned 6 months, We started weaning her at 23 weeks and is now on 3 solid meals a day. As she's a greedy baby she didnt reduce her milk and guzzled it all (she had 4 x 8oz bottles before weaning) and spent the time between feeds being sick (she didnt do this before being introduced to solid food). When we introduced the third solid meal we decided not to offer her milk with her meals and is now on 3 bottles a day (morning, mid afternoon, and bedtime). She seems to have lost interest in her milk, possibly having just 18oz a day. She isnt taking her solid food that well either. The past 2 mornings she has woken up at around 5am yet not wanting a feed until 7am, just wanting to play and laugh at my husband and I when we yawned!. Last night she had a 6oz bottle at 1am, something that she has not done since she was 3 months old. I'm hoping this is just a temporary blip but after having our nights sleep undisturbed for 3 months now, the past 2 nights have been a huge shock to the system!!!! If anyone has any suggestions to what we can do, i'll be VERY grateful!

Replies

• Options
    any sign of teeth?? possible growth spurt. I don't thnkl 2 nights is enough to get seriously worried yet but if my lo wakes up before 7 then I leave him in his own room & just go in to give a dummy. otherwise he might start to think that waking earlier means more attention so i just make it boring for him & he drifts off again.
  • Options
    My baby is alot younger (11 weeks) but is already on 8oz 4 hourly at 7,11,3,7 &11, (although i have been waking him at 11 to feed him) and had been sleeping from 11.30pm till 7.30am but last week was waking at 5 or 6, i decided he must be hungrier!!! greedy git!! i gave him a small amount of baby rice at his 7pm feed and it seemed to put him back into sleeping from 11.30 till 7.30, however last night i thought i'd put him down after his 7pm bottle and not wake him at 11, and to my suprise he slept fine! he woke at 5 with a little wine so i just crept into his room and settled him with a dummy, wasn't going to offer milk as thought he'd then expect it! he felll back to sleep and woke at 7.03!!!! what a great night !!!, so my advice is to offer a dummy if they wake , and try and hold out a bit longer before giving milk if they wake, they will soon get the idea that they are not being fed and hopefully fall into a habit of sleeping better!! i hope mine continues!
  • Options
    a week later she's still waking up at obscene times of the night! i've offered her a dummy and she might have another 30 mins of sleep. As she's awake so early she wants to sleep lots in the day which I know is making nights worse but its hard to keep her up as she's so grouchy! aarrrggghhh!
  • Options
    a week later she's still waking up at obscene times of the night! i've offered her a dummy and she might have another 30 mins of sleep. As she's awake so early she wants to sleep lots in the day which I know is making nights worse but its hard to keep her up as she's so grouchy! aarrrggghhh!
  • Options
    My lo is 8 months old and has been waking in the night for the last 6 weeks. To begin with she was hungry as she wasn't having enough solids in the day - she was often refusing to eat one of her meals. The last couple of weeks she hasn't been hungry at night just in pain with her teeth so I have given her some medised and she has gone back to sleep ok. It's hard work as she has slept through since about 8 weeks old, hopefully she will grow out of it.
  • Options
    Hi,

I have been having the same problem. My wee boy is 5 months old and for the last 2 weeks he has been waking up during the night. However the last 2 nights he has slept through!! I was giving him one meal at lunch and his usual milk. I have increased this and now also give him a meal in the evening before his bed time. This seems to have helped.

I have also noticed that he is chewing a lot and his teeth (yet to appear) seem to be bothering him. I usual rub some Tee gel on his teeth when I put him in his cot. Maybe your little one teething? This can wake them during the night.

Here's hoping that my boy is back to sleeping through image

Good luck
    Mel