Forum home› Babies› Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breast Feeding?

Hi

I have 18 days to go until my first baby and was just interested to know people's experiences of breast feeding - is breast best?

Natx

Replies

• Options
    If you want to breast feed then my advice would be to get as much info and support with as you can before your baby comes. I had a c section, which I knew would mean it was more difficult to breast feed my little man, but unfortunately due to lack of support (including a midwife on the ward giving him a bottle instead of helping me get him latched on properly) I was able to breastfeed for long, I did express for some time after that, but my supply wasn't established enough before I started to express and my milk dried up. I am bottle feeding my son who is 5 months old, and he is happy and healthy. I know I wasn't successful, but millions of women are. I know (now!) that there are breastfeeding support lines run by NCT and La Leche league, so if you conacted them I'm sure they would be happy to give you lots of info. Hope that has helped.x
  • Options
    I agree with Suzaie, the more prepared you are the better, particularly as support for breastfeeding mums is little short of appaling in some areas. If your family are supportive it helps as well, I came close to giving up when I had mastitis and only didn't because of the support I got from my dh and mum. I would make sure that you have the phone number for either the NCT or LaLeche league handy in case you need them. I rang the NCT when I had problems and they were brilliant. Breastfeeding is hard work to start with but after a few weeks it becomes much easier. My lo is 7 months now and it is great not to have to worry about sterilizing bottles or running out of formula, and if I'm honest I really enjoy feeding her and I am dreading the point where she no longer needs her milk feeds. Just remeber though that the most important thing is that your lo is loved, so don't get too hung up on breastfeeding, plenty of babies are perfectly healthy on bottle feeds so if the breastfeeding doesn't work for you don't beat yourself up. Good luck with the birth, Kerry xx
  • Options
    Hi Nat, I went into hosp wanting to b/f but took some formula just incase I couldnt (my hosp doesnt provide feeds for babies!) I was determined not to get upset if I didnt feel that I could do it but I got a lot of support from my midwife and she really helped me and we took to it great with a little help. I really enjoy it (baba is 6 weeks now) but it can be hard work - my baby had a growth spurt at 10 days and fed for 2 days continuosly! I felt like a conjoined twin!! Which ever way you choose is hard work thou, because you have all the sterilising etc to do if you bottlefeed. I was suprised how many people are negative about breast feeding. My dad is a nightmare, has said to people that its a shame that I am doing it!! I have told him to shut up about things he knows nothing about. Hope you are sucessful, but dont worry if not, its not for everyone. Good luck, Jo x
  • Options
    I totally agree with Kerry that it is such a lovely feeling, Eden is nearly 6 months and i too am dreading her rejecting me but it hasn't happened yet, i thought it might do once i returned to work but she loves it just as much!
    Just do what feels comfortable for you, its worth seeing if your hospital does a breastfeeding class attached to your antenatal classe as i found this really helped!
  • Options
    Hi Nat, i've been breast feeding my little man for 6 weeks now. I didn't take to it as easy as some as my little boy was born with a tongue-tie and so couldn't suck properly. As a result I ended up with really sore nipples after a week or so. I have persevered through it and it is getting easier, am even starting to enjoy it. I quite often express if i'm going out so I still have to sterilise bottles etc, but it doesn't take long. I have also used the odd top up of formula, but only because my boobs were so sore that I had to give them a break.
    Just be prepared that it may not be easy at first, and don't give up at first hurdle, take each day as it comes. Good luck. xx
  • Options
    Hi Nat, I agree with the girls you need to be prepared and determined as it is quite hard in the beginning. Until your milk comes in you worry that babe is starving, and again when they have growth spurts but it's supply and demand so your body will adjust to babes needs. I also express about 3 times a week to ensure babe will take a bottle and give hubby a few night feeds. Cheaper and easier than formula.
  • Options
    My lo is almost 4months and I'm breastfeeding him the first few days I was all thumbs but after that it felt like the most natural thing in the world. I'm lucky I never got sore or leak but I got into the bad habit of feeding him whenever he cried (after checking nappy etc) rather than sticking to a set time routine he has ended up putting on heaps of weight but also no real routine and waking frequently at night. Its also hard cos not knowing when he was due a feed I've not been able to leave him as he wouldn't take a bottle. For the past 3 weeks I've been expressing (only a ounce or two) and trying various bottles we've now found one typically probably the most expensive one on the market and the newest!! lol as I go back to work soon
    But wouldn't change it,however I've several friends who not been able to and the bond they have is just as good and they now laugh and say how much freedom they can have if they want to. lol.
  • Options
    I bf dd and am bf ds ( 7 weeks) it is hard at first even with no. 2 cos each baby's different. Dd had trouble latching on, fed for ages and had reflux so she barfed back after each feed which made me feel awful, Ds feeds really quickly 5/10 mins tops and he's emptied the whole boob! No barfing but incredibly loud wind lol! I phoned NCT helpline last time and they were great, this time I've joined our local surestart breastfeeding group which has been good cos we've been able to talk about stuff and laugh at each others mini-disasters (like opening door to Jehovah's witnesses with boobs hanging out etc!) I would read up about it and get hold of any contact numbers you can, and also try and explain to dh and family about you aiming to bf and why you'd like to try it. My olds were really against it but have ended up seeing how well my two have done and found ways they can help, my mum cut up my sunday lunch for me the other day so I could eat one-handed cos ds wanted a feed! good luck x x x
  • Options
    Hiya,

My lo is 5 months now and breastfed. I really wasn't prepared for how much hard work it is, if you do it make sure you eat and drink loads and get lots of help off your partner doing other things to make up for the fact you're the one doing all the night feeds! On the whole I've enjoyed it although at times have found it difficult, I posted on here desperate for help when I was exhausted and wanted my lo to take just 1 feed a day of formula, by then he was over 3 months old and so he completely refused to take a bottle. So if you do breastfeed I would say it's probably best to introduce a bottle with expressed milk or formula earlier on. In the end my lo started taking formula from a cup once a day so it has given me a bit of a breather.

All the best for the birth x

• Options
    Personally I think bf is easier than bottle. By the time you have sterilised measured out warmed up/cooled down etc you could have boobs out and baby fed. I really enjoy b/f and got loads of support in hospital but beware all n sundary will wanna grab your breast to show you how, most of the midwifes didnt even ask they just grabbed baby and boob. am very glad i swallowed my pride and worked at it tho. my twin boys are now 7 weeks and still being exclusivly b/f and i have no intention of giving up anytime soon. def worth getting a good support pillow tho xx