Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

please help and advise/reassure.

Afternoon ladies,

i dont know if i am after advice or reassurance or what really.

bsaically max is now just over 10weeks. since monday i have attempted at starting a routine for him for bedtime.
between 7-8 he has a bath and then we go into the bedroom with the nightlight on and i feed him with the aim of him sleeping after. now since starting he varies. he will either fall asleep after the bottle in my arms or he will just whinge for ages. If i put him down when he falls asleep he stays asleep for about ten mins and then its back upstairs coz he is crying. to the point he gets himself into a state so quickly i have to pick him up. he will then either instantly fall asleep or again whinge for ages. he never stays asleep for longer then 10mins and he is crying again. he wont fall asleep by himself. i cant do controlled crying as he gets himself into an awful state and if i use the pupd method as soon as i put him down he is crying again.
i understand these things can take a while but i just dunno what to do as he is being quite clingy which makes it difficult.
i dont know if anyone can please suggest anything or even just reassure me that it will get easier.

he has his next feed between 10 and 11. the last 2 feeds come 9 he has been wide awake and smiling and gugling away. i have stayed upstairs with him with only the nightlight on as i feel bringing him downstairs will just defeat the object.

he sleeps right thru til 7am but in an ideal world i want him to sleep 7-8 til 11, then feed then go back to sleep til 7.
please help. is success in my sight?
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    weve been doung the pu/pd method with Connor since monday.
    On monday he was the same as your lo and cried when i put him down, I persevered and it took an hour and 50 mins til he went to sleep. Weve been doing it now for 5 nights and we have got it down to 10 minutes
    What im saying is if you can handle the crying the first few times perserverence is the key! What helped me cope was knowing that I was helping him by teaching him to sleep.
    Im afraid i dont have any advice on the night feeds as Connor still wakes twice
    Gill
    xxxx
  • Options
    hi gill,

do you literally put him down the second he stops crying? and then the second he starts pick him back up?
    do you stay with him til he is asleep?
    i know really its all about sticking to it and perservering.
    well done u though for getting him down to ten mins.
    kate
    xxxx
  • Options
    he is still very little so try and remember that and it isnt always easy to get them into one that young and at 10 weeks I doubt he will go through yet without a feed - but other than that it is just sticking to it and not trying to push him through before he is reaady
  • Options
    Kate,

How is he with winding? Could it be that he may not be getting rid of all his wind? Nathan on the whole is good at getting rid of his wind but on odd occasions he'll have restless moments, then will start crying then get into a right state......eventually after 30mins he'll suddenly burp a tiny burp and smile!!

Other than that, not got any useful advice I'm afraid.....Nathan will be 10wks on Monday. We are generally all in the bedroom about 8pm (dh has a severe back & neck problem at the mo), Nathan will have had a bottle between 7 & 8pm then lays & plays til bout 9 and will drift off and b asleep by about 9.30pm. He then generally wakes about 4am (ish) for a bottle, back asleep by 4.30 and wakes again about 7am.

Eventually, we are aiming to be getting him to bed at about 7pm with his 2 brothers.....the girls r usually in bed by 8pm, lights out 8.30pm. They are all awake about 6am ish....364 days out of 365!!!!!
  • Options
    well like i say he sleeps after his 11pm bottle til 7am. not sure i made that clear. sorry. so i know in that respect i am really lucky coz that is a really good length of time to go.

mandy he does get windy. and sometimes i can sit there for ages rubbing, and trying all different positions etc. but he is better at bringing it up then he used to be. you only have to move him now and its burp burp burp. haha.
    i dont know how you do it with so many. you must be shattered.

louise maybe i should also consider he is young. i just wanted to try getting him in bed etc at that time so he can get used to it and into a routine whilst he is still young if you get me.

lolly- we dont currently use a dummy. wse used to give him our little finger and i put a stop to it about 2 and half weeks ago coz he was relying on it way too much. and he was fine with that. it did get to thurs and i thought maybe a dummy. so i bought one and he wont take it. i have tried and tried but he just spits it out. i think the fact he hasnt always had it he just doesnt get it. but i will keep trying as he used to be asleep within minutes with a finger to suck.
    i have tried to push his own into his mouth but he likes to clench his little fists all the time so wont do it. lol.

thanks for all the advice ladies. i will just take it a day at a time and see how he gets on.
    kate
    xxxx