Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Expressing

Hi
I've never really had much problem breastfeeding my children but expressing is another story altogether, please can anyone advise?

When is the right time to express? After a feed but from the other side?

I tried today and could only express 1oz or just over, yet I know I produce much more as my baby is putting on weight at a rate of knotts.

One of the reasons I want to express, other than the obvious, is to keep up my flow. Katy had a growth spurt a couple of days ago and fed pretty much constantly, yet last night and today she has barely fed properly. Shes feeding in 10-15min spurts and sleeping for quite a while in between, I'm worried I lose what she has built up.

It just doesnt seem to want to flow when I express and feel a bit sad about it. Obviously I either have to continue to breastfeed and never go anywhere without her, mix feed which I dont want to do or give up altogether which I want even less.

Its very confusing!!

Thanks in advance

Leah xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Leah,

I am the same, can only express mostly 2 oz at a time, have managed 4 oz a couple of times. How old is your baby? It maybe that your supply isnt fully established so you are having probs expressing but my baby is 24 weeks now and I still cant manage it!

I have ended up introducing a formula feed as well which I didnt want to do but to be honest its been a bit of a god send for me, to have a bit of time off. What kind of pump do you use? I have a manual but I have been told that electronic are much more effective, maybe you could try one if you havent already? The info with my pump says morning is the best time but it didnt make any diff to me.

On the plus side, if you dont want to introduce formula, once you start weaning they take a lot less (in my experience anyhow). Reece only has 3 milk feeds a day now - night time is a diff story though, he would stay on all night if I would let him!! good luck with it all Jo x
  • Options
    Hi i used to express in the morning & expressed off the one i hadn't last fed off through the night i then used to express again on the night time bout 10ish then dh would give lo her bottle so i could go to bed,i read somewhere that the best time to express is before 5pm cos you produce more i tried doing that once i did get alot out but its was imposible when i was by myself with lo,also found the freezer bags for breast milk were fab! hope this helps xo
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply Jo. You're probably right tho, Katy isn't quite 2 weeks old yet, she's my 3rd but you still forget the simplest of things, such as I probably haven't established feeding yet.

I have the Isis Manual pump but once used the Medela and tbh, I didnt find the electric any better.

I so want to continue bf as shes a greedy guts and I have found her the hardest to sustain, yet I've got this far and it would a sad day if I had to give up now. My eldest fed for 9 months, my 2nd only 5 months and I have had difficulty expressing with them all - its bizarre!

Well done on getting to the 24 week mark, its a real achievement isnt it? If Reece is hungrier at night, perhaps you should increase his solids at teatime? Just a little tip...

I'll keep it going and introduce a formula feed if necessary, I just hope I dont have to.

Thanks again xx
  • Options
    Thanks Cloclo, you've just reminded me... freezer bags, how long can I freeze for (assuming I can express enough TO freeze)?

And how soon do I need to use it once defrosted?

I think I'll try to express in morning then, and see how I go.

xx
  • Options
    hi i used to express from opposite boob joseph was feeding from whilst watching jeremy kyle!!! also in the bath is a good one but at beginning of day when milk supply is up xx
  • Options
    Hi you can freeze milk for 3 months & you need to use it at within 24hrs once defrosted,even if you just get a little bit (sorry don't know how old your lo is) still keep it i used to use the little bits to mix with baby rice when i started to wean Grace
  • Options
    Thanks Leah

TBH he is just comfort sucking at night, he isnt really feeding, just a bit of a squirt every now and then goes in! He wont have a dummy and although he sucks his thumb in the day he cant seem to find it at night. Some nights we battle it out all night and other nights I just sleep with him, tired isnt the word for me at the mo but I wouldnt swap it for the world, I love bf and want to carry on till he weans off naturally (unless he is getting too old, dont want a 2 year old dangling off my boob!)

I know that 2 weeks old was the hardest for me, Reece also had a growth spurt and feed constantly for 2 days and 2 nights, and I was nearly at the end of my rope with it all but thankfully it passed. I'm sure everything will work out for you, Jox
  • Options
    i also found if i expressed from 1 boob while feeding on the other i got lots more, its quite a juggling act to start with, i wld get comfy with loads of pillows on the bed, i got more if i did the morning feed. xx
  • Options
    hi funky, i expressed loads last time coz i was going back to work, i used to express between feeds and i used to only get about 1-2oz to start with but it still built up, i just kept expressing the odd oz through the day till i had enough to make up a feed then added it together, i think as long as its all expressed in the same day and you dont add warm milk to cold its fine and alice never had any ill effects from me doing it. good luck hun x
  • Options
    I was in hospital for 5 days last week after having Paige, and as she was taken to neonatal unit due to being poorly they had to monitor how much she fed. I was told by the midwife to try feeding her on the breast but then to top up with formula, and to express AFTER the feed to get off whats left
  • Options
    Another question, sorry gals. My m/w said she should feed for 30 - 40 mins at a time, but she doesnt always. It varies from10-15mins then it'll be 20-25 mins. Should I worry? I dont remember it being such hard work and worry the last two times!!
  • Options
    i wouldnt worry too much about the time she feeds, my last used to feed for 40 mins at each feed but isaac is never more that 15-20 mins and more often hes nearer 10 i think he is just more efficient at getting it out quickly because hes a little piggy.
  • Options
    i would wait until bfing is really estabished then express. bf babies are really good at regulating what they need so i wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    Hi Girls
    I'm sooooo glad i'm not the only one finding it hard to express. I have difficulty getting lo latched on but once he's on he is a guzzler. He drinks for about 15 mins then i burp him then swap boobs as i was told to by the health visitor. Am i doing wrong in swapping boobs? He's gained 8oz last week so i know he's drinking enough but when it comes to expressing i have major probs. Because of the problems i have with him latching i dont feel comfortable feeding him when out so i like to express, When i try to express i seem to be pumping for ages only to find i have just covered the bottom of the bottle, i find it upsetting as i feel i'm not producing enough. I have had to make a formula bottle to take out with me but i think this upsets his tum as he gets very wingy and windy. I dont want to be rushing into town and back just coz lo wants a feed, he's 4 weeks old and feeds every 3 hours.
    Any advice greatly received as i am almost at the point of giving up feeding him myself and i dont really want to.
    Nic
  • Options
    Hi Nic. I suggest you try and do an internet search of all the breastfeeding friendly shops in your town centre, that way you can have a place in mind to head to when you need to feed your lo. Off the top of my head theres Debs, M&S, BHS, Mothercare plus our main shopping centres are all bf friendly. Regarding the swapping of boobs, my m/w told me as long as the poo was yellow and not greeny or bitty, then baby was getting the full lot and switching is ok. If its green, it means baby may not be getting the hind milk which sustains for longer and is richer. I learnt to keep popping her back on and within 24 hrs her poo had changed to a nice yellow (lovely!). Hope this helps x
  • Options
    Thanks FunkyRabbit it was a big help. At least I know I'm not alone.x