Forum home Babies Baby

Sleep - 9/10 month old

Hi all

How much sleep during the day does your 9/10 month old have? Or how much did they have at that age?

We are still having serious concerns that Toby is not getting enough sleep in the day and we feel sure this is resulting in his stupidly early waking. He will wake as early as 5.30am on some days - sometimes we can get him back to sleep for a bit, but not always. He will then be super clingy and grumpy as he is SO tired.

Fri-Sun Toby has 3hrs+ of sleep. Is he catching up from the week or is that just how much he needs?

He has as little as an hour to as much as 2hrs - and a 2hr nap is VERY rare. Its normally around 1hr 15-1hr 30 ....

When did your LO start to have less sleep?

I know all babies are different but it would really help us out to know as we now have to seriously consider changing Toby's nursery and don't want to do that unless necessary. I am still not happy with the nursery but T is getting on well and has settled in well and I don't want to upset that unnecessarily.

But if the lack of a sleep room means he is really missing out on daytime naps and he still needs them - I think we have to do something!

Thanks, Joo xxx
(T is 10 months next Fri)

[Modified by: MummyJoo on 27 February 2010 08:15:00 ]

Replies

• Hey joo!

Monster has a nap at 9am til 11.30-12 and then normally another nap at 2ish for half and hour or an hour.

Sleep is so important for them at the the minute as I'm sure you know it's when there brain processes everything their learning....if evans morning nap is cut short he's very grumpy and tired, sleep is very important and if the nursery arnt providing a place for him to sleep then I'd personally change xxx
  • The girls are in the process of dropping a nap this week as they're pushing their naps later to try and squeeze out the pre-tea catnap!

They used to nap at 9.30am, 12.30pm and 3.30pm for about 45 mins each time.

So far, despite me putting them down at 9.30am, they haven't fallen asleep till bang on 10am. They usually sleep for 45 mins. They'll then have another 45 mins at 2pm. If they have a short nap at 2pm, I let them have a catnap at around 4pm (which they fight) but if not, they end up screaming through their bath and falling asleep on their bedtime bottle.

TBH, I don't find that daytime sleep makes the girls wake early. I've tried to notice a pattern but found that actually, their early waking was just a phase that passed eventually. Obviously all babies are different though and only you know what affects Toby

xx

PS: The girls will be 10 months old a week tomorrow
  • Michael sleeps from roughy 10.15 till 11.45 and than from 14.30 till 16.00. He has 3 hours during the day, but times do vary a bit. If I let him he will sleep longer on occasions. He is getting quicker tired now though and since he is standing up and wanting to walk he gets tired even quicker and wants to go to sleep at 1. I don't really let him though, but he seems to be doing far better at sleeping night times. He now wakes us at about 7.30 instead of 5.30. (all since we cut his sleep to 3 hours a day, rather than 4+) Don't know if it is coincedence (sp) or not
  • Michael sleeps from roughy 10.15 till 11.45 and than from 14.30 till 16.00. He has 3 hours during the day, but times do vary a bit. If I let him he will sleep longer on occasions. He is getting quicker tired now though and since he is standing up and wanting to walk he gets tired even quicker and wants to go to sleep at 1. I don't really let him though, but he seems to be doing far better at sleeping night times. He now wakes us at about 7.30 instead of 5.30. (all since we cut his sleep to 3 hours a day, rather than 4+) Don't know if it is coincedence (sp) or not
  • Hi

My lo has 3hours in the day and 10-11hrs at night.

HTH XX
  • Hi Joo.

Abby's sleep pattern goes like this.

8am - we wake her up
    10-10.30am - goes down for a nap
    11.30-12.00 - wake up
    2.30 - 3.00 - nap
    4.00 - 5.00 - wake up
    7,00 - go upstairs to get ready for bed
    7,30 - 8.00 - lights out.
  • Forgot to say, the girls have 12 hours at night (7-7 or thereabouts) xx
  • Riley has two naps a day, one at about 10ish and one at about 2.30-3ish. If he's at home he will nap for 1hr30-2hrs at his morning nap, but if I'm working he goes to my mum's and there he'll only occasionally nap for that long otherwise its 45mins. His afternoon nap is fairly similar, but I try not to let him sleep past 4pm so that he goes down well at 7pm. So he generally has between 2-3hrs, and about 12hrs at night.

Riley can be very grumpy too when he's tired so I can imagine it's hard on you when you've been at work all week. I would probably look at changing nursery if they wasn't letting him get enough sleep. x
  • Abi is 8 months and has dropped her afternoon nap.

She had a 30-45 min nap late morning and that her till bedtime, and she goes 12-13 hours at night.

She doesnt get tired or grumpy, and if i try to get her to have more naps or longer naps, she just stands in her cot, not crying, but if she hasnt gone down withing 45 min i just get her back up.

I worry that she isnt getting enough sleep during the day, but i cant make her sleep if she refuses.
  • Charlotte usually naps around 45 minutes, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Occassionally she'll nap as long as 2 hours but not often and she'll do it here or in nursery so no pattern. But then her nursery has a seperate sleep room. She sleeps 12 hours at night (6.30-6.30).
  • our routine has been changing with T lately.

he now has his mid morning bottle around 10.30/11am and then down for a nap which can be anything between 30mins and 90 mins. he will then have another nap around 3.30 for 30mins to 60mins. he goes to bed about 8pm. he sometimes wakes at 5am for a feed then goes back to sleep until 8am (ish)

xxx

ps he nearly always fights sleep! x
  • Lily used to have two naps of 45 mins at that age, morning and afternoon. Since hitting the year mark she's dropped this to one nap, again usually only 45 mins :\(

Since 6 months she's slept for 11-12 hours at night (which does mean that sometimes she goes down at 6.30 and gets up at 5.30 :roll: - though more often than not it's 6.30 - 6.30).
  • Oliver is 9 months and he sleeps for anywhere between 2-3.5 hours in the day and 11 hours at night.
  • Joooooo,

Wills has a morning and afternoon nap, probably about 3 hours in total although it does vary.

He's waking up at all hours at the moment though so is catching up a little bit in the day.

Sorry you're not feeling totally confident in your nursery, it must make things so difficult for you image

Big hugs x
  • Hello, my 9 month old sleeps 11 ish hours at night and two naps a day between 30mins and 1hour 20 (she's just woken from 30min nap this aft!) Never looks tired so i just try to put her down around same times 10 and 2:30 asleep for 7:30 and i don't go into her room till 7am, always awake before this.