Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby's belly button.

Hi there, my little boy is 6 weeks old and his belly button still leaks this fluidy stuff which gets stuck all over his clothes. The h/v said about a 2 weeks ago it was fine but I am getting really concerned now as it doesn't seem to be getting any better. My other two childrens belly buttons were I am sure healed by now. Anyone elses baby's took this long to heal? any advice. thanks Karyn x

Replies

• Options
    I'd check with your dr as that doesn't sound right to me. My little boy is also 6 weeks old, but his belly button is all dry. Get the old crusty bit from it, but not fluidy stuff. Its probably nothing to worry about like h/v says, but worth a check I reckon. xx
  • Options
    Hey... Karyn, what colour is the fluidy stuff. Do you wash his belly button really well? and make sure keep it really dry. It often helps you wash it wish cotton buts as then tend to get the entire the belly button. And when you put on his nappy, try to make sure that depending on what type of nappies you use, but have it so its under the belly button itself. Like even fold the top part down if it tends to cover the belly button, this way it wont get irritated and get some air and will help prevent any poo or urine getting into the belly button. And also just use warm water to cean the belly button. You may use soap, there is no hamr in this, but not too much. Some midwife may suggest antiseptic creams and things, but i just encourage water. Often the babies belly is usally healed by now. I would ask your midwife to check his belly button. Amirah (midwife and mum to be) xo
  • Options
    Thanks a lot ladies for your replies. I spoke to the doctor on Friday and she seems to think it is perfectly normal as long as there is no redness or inflamation. Still a bit concerned but she is the professional. The fluid is clear and sticky to answer your question 2BMum, what do you think? thanks again Karyn xx