Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Induction Question

Hi Girls,

I am now 40+2 and I have my MW appointment at the hospital on Wednesday where they will give me a date for induction.

My hospitals policy is 12 over due date for induction. However I was wondering how set in stone this is? It would massively help us if they could do it at 10 days.

I never thought when I was fully engaged and 1cm dialated at 36 weeks that little man would go 2 weeks over but I guess mother nature has other ideas.

My reasons for wanting the induction at 10 days is for non medical reasons. OH has an imporant project at work which he needs to be there for on Monday 12th so potentially only will have 3 days off with me if I am induced on the 8th October. (he can take a week off the week after)

Also my in laws are arriving for 3 weeks on the 16th so potentially will have a 6 day old baby and a full house.......(not that they would induce early for that)

I know my dates arent wrong as we used CBFM and I know when I concieved etc. I have had several growth scans as my bump is measuring small but baby was already 7lbs at 37 weeks so no worries there.

I know some people are of the philosophy 'if the babies not ready' but I really cant see 10 days over or 12 days as making much of a difference when I will be induced anyways

I havent seen my consultant ever, do you think I would be able to insist on seeing them to see what they think rather than just let the MW pencil me in due to hospital policy?

Did any of you barter on your induction haha

40+2

I am hoping and praying little man will arrive on his own accord very soon!!

Replies

• Options
    Worth asking your doctor I guess but Zoey is right - I was induced on a Thursday (10 days over) and she was finally dragged out kicking and screaming on the Monday!!
    xx
  • Options
    Worth asking your doctor I guess but Zoey is right - I was induced on a Thursday (10 days over) and she was finally dragged out kicking and screaming on the Monday!!
    xx
  • Options
    It's worth asking. I was induced (well, semi-induced I'd call it!) at 10 days past term and baby was born that day. I had an active labour of just under 3 hours. I was already 3cms dilated when I got to hospital (I'd had no symptoms though) so I had my waters broken and was put on a drip.

If, like the others say, your body isn't ready for it, it could take a few days to get labour going with pessaries etc.

Hope you get the decision you want, and either way you will have your baby in your arms very soon. Good luck!

xxx
  • Options
    It's worth asking, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much - and like the others have said, baby won't necessarily arrive on the same day as you're induced - although my induction and labour sounds very similar to Lea77's (except I;d had a show and had been 3cm 4 days before too, so wasn't progressing on my own!).

My hospital's policy is induction at 40+12, when I saw my consultant at 40+7, she suggested induction at +10 or 11 (because of'risk factors' that she didn't explain. When the HCA phoned labour ward to book it, the did query why it was early and asked to speak to the consultant - they agreed to it at her request and she said she was glad to hear they were questioning it. Based on that, it sounded to me like policy is quite strict - probably wouldn't let your midwife book you in before 40+12, but you could alwasy ask to see the consultant - if you are consultant lead I'm surprised you've not seen them.
  • Options
    just agreeing with zoe, inductions can take up to a week, mine in particular took 4 days and only ended then due to a c section so just bare in mind that even if they do induce u on the 10th day over u may not have the baby til ur 15/16 days over anyway. btw i was induced for medical reasons, but given the longevity an induction can have i can't see how it can help to have it 2 days early as it probably won't ake any difference, especially as they do like to keep u in for at least one nhight after baby is born and depending on time of day u sometimes wont get a choice about that, say u give birth at 10pm they wont send u home at 5am if u only want 6 hour discharge, so thats another day before ur hme with babes. sorry to put a downer on it but need to be realistic, as i was quite niave and thought when they induced me would be 24hours max and our little boy would be herer... how wrong i was lol.

xx
  • Options
    xx

[Modified by: siany on September 28, 2009 11:42 PM]

• Options
    xx

[Modified by: siany on September 28, 2009 11:41 PM]

• Options
    I'm really not a fan of inductions, and wouldn't be induced again. So if I was you I would just wait the 2 extra days anyway in the hopes that I would go naturally.
    Just my personal viewpoint though, and if you're sure you want to go earlier than the 12 days, it won't hurt to ask.
    Good luck either way!