Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Napping when out and about....

We've started having problems when we take our 5 month twin girls out in the daytime.

The girls sleep fantastically during the daytime when we are home but appear to be not very adaptable when we go out and about. We have been out a few times this week in the pram or with car seats and the girls do not sleep when we are out. They are so "nosey", you can see that they are exhausted but cannot settle themselves.

By the time we get home they are in a meltdown where they are near enough hysterical and then fall asleep as soon as their heads hit their moses baskets. We have had to forgoe the baths at points as the girls could barely cope with a quick 'top and tail' and a quick feed.

Has anyone else experienced this and got any suggestions how I can get my two girls to sleep when we are out and about?

We are hoping to go out for the day in a couple of weeks time for my birthday but at the moment can't see that happening!

Replies

• Options
    my l/o won't go to sleep in his buggy either unless we've been out that long that he can't keep his eyes open. it does help if we go somewhere quite and he gets bored as like you say they are too nosey for their own good! you could try sitting in a quite corner of cafe, give them a bottle, have a coffee and ignore them til they fall asleep, would that work?
  • Options
    my lo finds it difficult to fall asleep when were out and about he is also 5mnths. he cries his eyes out and ends up falling asleep if im walking. ill b in the supermarket and he will be balling and people look at me in disgust coz hes crying then you get some 1 who thinks they know it all saying oh maybe hes hungry or needs changing. IVE JUST DONE THAT U NOSEY OLD MAN!!! or maybe hes too hot. ERRR LET ME THINK HOW LONG HAV U KNOWN MY BABY??? OH YEA LIKE 2 SECONDS. HES RED CAUSE HES BEEN CRYING LIKE MAD FOR 10MINS. sorry for the rant!
  • Options
    Do you take them out for walks often? It could just be that they are not used to going out in the pushchair or car very often so when they do its all very unfamiliar for them. My lo has allways loved being in his pram but he had to get used to it from 2 days old because i had to take my other children to and from school. He still finds it hard to get to sleep in his car seat but i think that is because he only goes in it twice a month! Try taking them for a walk round the block every day and extend the length of time your out every few days, see if this helps. Debs xx
  • Options
    Isaac is the same he just will not give in when we are out and about, eventually he will fall asleep through sheer exhaustion, we are out and about every day so its not that hes not used to it, hes just so damn nosey lol
  • Options
    My LO sometimes does this and i know this sounds mean- but i give her a dummy, put the hood over so she can't see anything (and therefore cant be a nosey little monkey) and when she is fast asleep uncover her again and she usually stays asleep. My pram is a chocolate colour so it goes really dark when covered up which probably helps- she probably thinks its night time!! Only a bit of a problem if its really noisy then she wont settle but with everyday noise like traffic and people talking normally she goes off quite quickly.

This is about all the advice i can offer im afraid, but u might not want to be a meany like me!!

Hannah xx
  • Options
    My LO sometimes does this and i know this sounds mean- but i give her a dummy, put the hood over so she can't see anything (and therefore cant be a nosey little monkey) and when she is fast asleep uncover her again and she usually stays asleep. My pram is a chocolate colour so it goes really dark when covered up which probably helps- she probably thinks its night time!! Only a bit of a problem if its really noisy then she wont settle but with everyday noise like traffic and people talking normally she goes off quite quickly.

This is about all the advice i can offer im afraid, but u might not want to be a meany like me!!

Hannah xx