Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Was sleeping through the night but not anymore - help please

My baby is now 5 months old. For the past 2 months he has been sleeping through the night - 7 ish until 6 ish. However...for the last 2 weeks he has been waking up 1 or 2 times during the night. At first I thought it was his teeth so gave him some tee gel and a bottle to get him back to sleep. This did the trick but now he seems to wake wanting a bottle and a play!!! I know I shouldn't have given him the bottle but it was the only thing that would settle him and get him back to sleep. I am now concerned I have started a bad habit that we will need to break.
Do you think this is the case? How do I get him to go to sleep without a bottle? Is he going through a growing phase or is it now a habit? He has one rice meal a day, should I increase this, will it help? I tried stroking him last night but after 20 minutes of crying and him working himself up I gave in and gave him the bottle. I have also tried putting him to bed, kissing him goodnight and leaving the room. After 5 mins of crying going back in and doing it again but he just got all worked up. I am not really sure how to sort this one out? Any advice?

Replies

• Options
    Thanks. I have given him a meal in the evening and the usual meal at lunchtime. The last 2 nights he has slept through!! Yay!! Now I just need to work on breaking the going to sleep with the bottle habit image
  • Options
    hiya my lo is 6 months on Monday and has just started waking up i the night again - its doing ma head in (i cant handle it) am such a grumpy sod if i dont get enough sleep!

there isna any reason for him wakening because he doesn't want fed - he just wants to play and he looks about and laughs etc, and i cant get angry with him because he isn't being bad!

oh why is it so hard having a baby - this is the hardest thing i have ever had to do and im in no hurry to repeat the procedure lol
  • Options
    Hey! My DD was sleepiung through at 8 weeks then started waking again at 10 weeks, so at 11 weeks I began weaning and now at 9 months she doesnt have any baby milk or baby food (only just swapped milk, food not mashed etc since 6ish months) I would up his food as you seem to have done and take it from there.

Hope it sorts out!