Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Dummy or no dummy?

hello. my lo is 2 1/2 weeks old.
Im not very keen on the idea, but my mil suggested that my lo has a dummy as after some feeds (i bottle feed) he still has a need to suck.
my oh is keen on the idea as he says if its a comfort thing he would rather lo has a dummy than cry.
Im thinkin adout just givin lo a dummy at bedtime if he gets really upset, but im worryed he will get used to it and want the dummy in the day.
wots everyone thoughts on dummies?

Replies

• Options
    I think that if your baby wants to suck a dummy then he will. My first 2 had dummies which by the age of 18 months were restricted to bed times and they never walked around with them, they both gave them up with no problems by the age of 2, the dummy fairy bought them a present and they were fine. My 3rd didnt take a dummy but she sucks her thumb and she is now 2 1/2 and still doing it. It was very cute when she was younger but people do comment on it now. I must admit i dont make an issue of it to her as i feel she will give up when she is ready and is more likely to if i dont pressure her. At least you can take a dummy away. You need to go with your instincts and do what you feel is right for you and your baby.
  • Options
    Before I had lo I was very anti dummy but I have mellowed al ot since! When she was about 6 weeks she suffered quite badly with wind and wanted to comfort suck constantly. She is breastfed and so I used to spend hours sat feeding when she wasn't really hungry just because she wanted to suck. In the end I did try a dummy a couple of times but she just wasn't intrested. I would say try it, it might not work but if it does it won't do him any harm while he is little, although I have to say I still HATE seeing todlers walking round with dummies. If he won't take a dummy you could try giving him your little finger to suck, this is what my lo used to do.
  • Options
    My lo is 7 months old and has had a dummy since she was about 3 months. Both hubby and me were anti dummy but in the end we thought it was better than letting her cry. She wouldn't have one when she was younger and only has it now when really needed. She only has it when were out and about never in the house. I think it might be due to the fact that I think too much about what other people think when they hear her crying when were out!
  • Options
    I really don't see the problem with dummy's.... baby's want to suck, it's in their nature, so why not let them? not all babies take to them anyway but it's defo worth a try.. what I don't like is 3/4 year olds still having dummy's... grgggr!! daniel is 19 months old and used to suck his fingers/thumbs all the time, I didn't wnat to give him a dummy at the time but in the end I can't wean/take a dummy off him, but I can't take his thumb off him!! lol :\) I was advised to start the weaning process when they get to 1 year old, daniel would only have it at bedtimes and it would be left in his cot, he did start thumb sucking for a bit so I gave it back to him, but we are back now to having it only at sleep times, he's 19 months old now and he takes his dummy out on his own now when I take him out of his cot! lol :\)
  • Options
    I wasn't keen on the idea of dummies at first, but after 2 weeks of crying (after he had been fed, changed, winded etc), I went and bought a selection! Best thing I did. My lo doesn't have it all the time, but it definately helps to settle him. He usually spits it out when he's asleep and he still lets me know when he's hungry.
    Like Sassa, when my lo wakes in the morning, giving him the dummy quite often helps him go back to sleep for a bit longer, and anything that helps me get a few more hours is a Godsend if you ask me!
    My lo loves the Avent silicone ones (0-3mths).
    xx
  • Options
    hi every1 i think dummies are fine at least with a dummy you can take it away fingers and thumbs you cant and its been proven that a dummy is better for your babys teeth then there thumbs or fingers and i should no im a dental nurse and i have just taken my 1st of her dummy because i thought she didnt need it anymore and with another baby on the way i thought that would be another reason to get rid of it and she was absoloutly fine with it it probably took me 2 weeks to get her of it completely and now she doesnt even ask for it any more and she is talking alot more (not sure if thats a good thing lol) so thats my veiw good luck on what u decide nadene
  • Options
    Hi, my lo is 5 months old now, i breast fed her when she was first born up til she was 3 months old and she used me as a dummy and fall asleep like it when she was a couple of days old. I gave her a dummy which was brilliant and she only ever used it when she went to sleep or if she was poorly and upset, then near enough at the same time as i stopped breast feeding she found her thumb and used her dummy a lot less, now she won't take it at all and just sucks her thumb when shes tired and going to sleep. I don't think there is anything wrong with a dummy or thumb sucking, but i do think that as babies get older they should only have there dummies in bed-my friends baby is now 1 and she has only let her have her dummy when she is in her cot. x