Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bedtime routine at what age for newborn?

At what age did you introduce a bedtime routine with your newborn?
At the mo Meghan stays in her moses basket till 11pm in lounge then is moved upstairs to bedroom. She has bad wind in the evening and is hard to settle.

Pinkpig xx

Replies

• Options
    Ruby was 3 days old when we introduced our bedtime routine and she has slept through since 3 weeks and never woken up more than once a night before then.xxx

Zoey85 - sleeping through since 3 weeks, that's amazing! What is your routine? Did you wake Ruby for a feed during the night or did you just let her sleep through? My daughter is 3 weeks and we're trying to establish a routine so any advice would be appreciated xx
  • Options
    sorry to gatecrash, but sleeping threw at 3 weeks zoey85 what is your secret? my lo is 9 weeks and she is quite good and only wakes up once in the night for feeding but i would LOVE her to sleep threw as i have a 1yr old to run round after during the day too!
  • Options
    hi. i am struggling to get my 2week old into a routine. what ideas do others have? what times do your babies sleep during the day?
  • Options
    this is an old thread

for the new poster

we started at 7 weeks, a few weeks old is very early for routine, tresaure evey moment of cuddles this time doesnt last long!

also most babies do not sleep through the night for months sleeping through from a few weeks is not the norm for babies, most are not ready as they need regular feeds as there tummys are so small
  • Options
    Yeah I think sleeping thru at 3 weeks in an exception!! Our lo is 6 and a half weeks old now. Initially she was downstairs with us and would come to bed at the same time as us after having her last feed in the bedroom. After a few weeks I started bringing her bedtime forward as sometimes it would be midnight before we got to sleep. Gradually it got to about 9pm and after a few nights of this we moved bedtime forward to 8.30. This was only a week or so ago. She is actually tired about 8pm so we tend to change her nappy and get her pjs on about 7.30 then it's bottle, cuddles then bed. She sleeps in a crib in our room and settles very quickly. We're just starting to get into the routine of bathing her every other night too. She will sleep about 6 hrs til 2.30/3am then another 3 hrs til about 6am. We then doze til about 8 ish. I'm happy with this.

I also agree with piggypops about enjoying cuddles, it's scary how quick they grow!!

Also re day time sleeps, we don't have any routine for this, it depends what we're doing, Evie sleeps more if we go out in the car or for walks. If at home she's awake a lot more. I'd concentrate on just getting a reasonable bed time time established initially. 2 weeks is still very early tho but you can start to work towards it. Good luck x