Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is anyone Breastfeeding?

Hiya, having read through all of this thread I am a bit nervous about posting anything but I just wanted to respond to DoubleBubble's question. I mixed breast & bottlefeeding when my daughter was 2 weeks old, basically I was so exhausted from the feeding on demand and the length of time it took to feed that my midwife advised I introduce a bottle of formula in the evening and I must say it has really worked for me. like Lollylou, I just have one to deal with but good luck with whatever you decide. ps I have also heard that introducing a bottle too early might cause nipple confusion but I guess I was lucky as we never had that problem, one thing I will say is that when she is a bit grumpy she settles easier on the breast and when she is really hungry she prefers the bottle. xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Emma, because I had been told that I might have difficulty introducing the bottle to my baby (as she would be looking for the breast) I got my hubby to give her the first bottle. Whilst she did reject it at first after a little while she drank it down no problem. To be honest I rarely give her a bottle, my husband or the grandparents tend to do those feeds. I breastfeed her most of the day and then her dad gives her a bottle of formula in the evening. Good luck xx
  • Options
    To go back to the question about feeding twins (I'm sorry I can't remember who asked it!!) I think it may depend on the babies whether they will take a bottle as well as breast feeding. My little girl is 22 weeks and we have never managed to get her to take a bottle at all, my brothers baby girl is 7 weeks and quite happily has one bottle of formula in the evening and breast feeds the rest of the time! I have heard people say that it is mainly when you introduce the bottle before 4 weeks that nipple confusion occurs so if you can breastfeed exclusively up to this point it might be worth it. Good luck with what ever you decide (or the babies decide for you!) Kerry
  • Options
    Thank u, im willing to try anythink to get her on the bottle so all ur repleys r helpful thxs
  • Options
    I use baby bfree bottle, the same as Dr Browns really, but they have a temp sensor on the end of the tube and a valve at the top of the tube that helps the powder mix better, they can be bought online at www.babybfree.com. Godd luck with it.xx
  • Options
    Hi Ladies, IMO re breastfeeding and bottlefeeding, simple really, it is a proven fact that breastfeeding is better for the baby as it is natural, contains antibodies from the mother, etc... however, its just not for everyone. I breastfed my first for the first 6 weeks and could not continue for my own personal reasons, although I would have loved to have been able to continue I decided not to, am proud that I managed 6 weeks and she is now 11 and very very healthy so bottlefeeding never did her any problems for the remainder of the time. This time, again, I plan to try breastfeeding and if I encounter the same problems, i will have no issue going onto bottlefeeding. I dont see a problem with either, I'd prefer to breastfeed but if I can't, do not see myself as a failure , i am open to listen to constructive criticism and to take advice that can perhaps assist in preventing the issue i had with my first child from coming up again so I do not have that apprehension and worry however, if it stills turns out not to be for me again after a short period of time then so be it, if its still a negative issue, then by all means, whoever it may be a problem for can whip their breast out and feed my child for me! image PS: Luv you all to bits

[Modified by: webeditor on February 02, 2007 10:43 AM]
  • Options
    I didnt realise either that original posts had been taken out or editted but yep, mine was also!!! lol.... And I think mine was very diplomatic, constructive and completely non offensive :cry: In fairness, I think its right to edit and delete rude and offensive posts however, I thought I made extremely valid points in the right manner - I think of myself as the peacekeeper image!!! Suzaie loadsa cyberluv over to ya!! XXXXX
  • Options
    See suzaie, if people listened to the PM and went with the silicone plastic milk producing breasts prototype I invented and was subsequently used in meet the fockers, then the world would be a much happier and better place! :lol:image Thought I'd lighten up the mood! image
  • Options
    all mine were removed and i was peacekeeping, eva where have you been???????????????image
  • Options
    hey sharron, i've been consoling my brother for the last few days as hes going through a bad time and potential break up with his wife xxxxxx
  • Options
    hi girls...didnt like to come on here before when the eggs were flying....lol...quite a bit has gone missing hasnt it??? when you was saying about you cant understand why its such an emotional subject...its cos its not!!! nothing wrong with either.. it was just the way a certain person was putting herself across that was causing fireworks...and to be honest talking like that, it wont be the last either. honeymummy was waving the white flag..lol...silicone plastic milk producing breasts all round!!!!..lol..yo eva im seeing my bro tomoz..my hubby said with both of us together he needs prozac!!! hehehe