Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HONEY!

hi all
my son is 9 months old and he eats toast mid morning and is actually eating more that playing with which is great but i always gave him a bit of honey on his toast which he loves and its natural. i sopke to hv and as he is "under the line" he can have a bit of sugar but she said babies cant have honey until 12 months???? its can cause botulism! i know this is a form of food poisoning but what is the difference betweek now and 12 months? and he has been having it on toast since 7 months!!! eeek!!!
also he shouldnt have seeds? in tomoatoes etc? also he eats these whole i dont de-seed them and he eats seeded bread as its what i eat and i dont want to give him too much white bread! she said to use jam in his porrige and on his toast instead but this is more sugar than i wanted him to have!
:\?

Replies

• Options
    Hi Hayley

I'm no where near this stage yet but how on earth are you meant to know these things? I mean if you don't read up on things are you just meant to rely on the hv's? I can't see my hv telling me all these things. Weanings hard enough as it is without trying to remember all the things theyre not meant to have till when etc :\?
  • Options
    Hi Hayley, i knew about the honey and the seeds in tomatoes but didn't realise they can't have seeded bread!! My lo has had seeded bread on occasion but normally i just buy plain wholemeal bread. I use lurpak unsalted as the spread for the toast and very occasionally will give her jam but it is the 66% fruit jam - more fruit less sugar.

Honestly...is it any wonder we have no brain cells left as they're all taken up trying to remember all these things!!!
  • Options
    i know! surely giving a 9 month old honey is not much different than giving a 12 month old? i just remember her saying no seeds! well i said he eats seeded bread and tomato seeds and has done for months if he doesnt choke on seeded bread then i dont think a tomato seed will worry me! hubby made me laugh by telling our hv (who he hasnt seen since birth really) we give joseph choc buttons! now he has them very occasionally if the other kids have some and he isnt overly bothered by them but my hubby made out that we feed them to him!! i could have killed him! he said he drinks juice all day too when he only has one bottle a day and with his meals !!!!! i felt like a right bad mother trying to re-explain it all to her!!!! will never take him again thats for sure!!!! xxx

[Modified by: hayleys1 on January 30, 2008 07:08 PM]
  • Options
    ha ha! Men eh!