Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

waking early

hi ladies, my 6 & a half month old little one has been waking between 5 & 6 in the morning he used to sleep till 7 - 7.30, he won't settle back to sleep until i bring him down stairs & rock him of to sleep, but husband thinks i will get him into bad habits doing this, he has a sleep in the morning about 9.15 to 9.45 then about 12 till 2, he then has half hour about 4 ish i dont know if i should try and cut the 4 o clock nap out, but am worried he will be overtired at bedtime and wonthave his bottle properly which used to happen before he goes to bed at 7pm we have trouble if his bedtime runs later than that, any suggestions what to do xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    I think your husbands right, it can become a habit, what I do is leave a couple of toys and a book in the cot, so baby can amuse themselves and if she cries a bit I give her a dummy this often sends her off to sleep again on her own.
  • Options
    My 7 and a half month old daughter follows near enought the same pattern and has just started waking up early too! Luckily enough most mornings she just chatters away to herself till about 7am. I do think that it's a good idea about putting a few toys in but i think i'll wait until she's asleep.
  • Options
    My almost 6 months old is doing the same..he wakes up around 6 am and won't sleep again unless I push him in the pram but it worth it (for me anyway) because then he will be a sleep for an other hour and a half. I don't think you should cut his afternoon nap otherwise he will get over tired.my son's last nap is from 5 to 5.30/6 and that doesn't stop him from sleeping at 7.30pm
  • Options
    Could you cut his last nap but push his other two naps back a bit? My lo is 7 1/2 months, she usually has her afternoon nap at about 1.30 and then is reasonably cheerful untill bath time at 6.30. I think I'm managing to set worse habits, the last two nights Millie has slept through but woken at 6. Thats too early for me so I take her back to bed and feed her lying down (I am breastfeeding) and we both go back to sleep for a bit! One more thought, could he be hungry? Maybe he is ready for more solids but I guess this depends what he is getting at the minute. Kerry xx
  • Options
    I'm afraid my little one is 7 months old and wakes between 5.30 am and 6am too.My son who is now 4 went through a few months of it too. There's no answer i don't think, they just eventually sleep longer. if you look in books, a 6 month old sleeps less at night than a 3 year old. I guess cause of naps in the day. It's a nitemare and it kills me but just a phase. i wouldn't cuddle or feed then get back to sleep cause i did that with my son and it went on and on for months! When i started controlled crying about 1 year old it got better. thank goodness it's light at 6am though eh!
  • Options
    thanks girls for replies, hopefully this fase won,t last long, and like you said spendalyns im not going to feed & cuddle back to sleep, as suggested think it will cause a problem, and these sunny early mornings are lovely, thanks all xxx