Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Which formula milk to buy?

At moment i am breast feed my four wk old. She is feeding every 1 to 2 hours. My breasts have never felt heavy or full so my health visiter said i may not be making enough milk. I have tried expressing and on got about an oz. She had suggested i top baby up with formula but can't recommend any certain make ? Which do i get ?

Replies

• Options
    hi,its awful when you have probs breastfeeding isnt it,i got mastitis then abcess&had to go to hosp so i had to stop feeding when max was just a week old.i have used sma gold ever since & did with my older child too.take care xx
  • Options
    I've been using SMA Gold with Abi
  • Options
    Hi Ruth

I had the same problem and my little man has had a top up at 9pm every night and sleeps through till 5am !!

At first I just bought some pre made cartons of SMA Gold or Aptimal but have since bought a tin of SMA powder. He enjoys it and I have to say I enjoy the sleep!!

Just a hint - Daddy gives him is bottle at night and I use the opportunity to express what I can at the same time. To start with I was only getting a teaspoon but now i get at least 2oz a time. Little man only 4 weeks old so still practising !! It helps with the being out and about as I can take bottle and it's breast milk rather than formula!!

Take care

Sab x
  • Options
    i use cow and gate my little has been fine on it x
  • Options
    I started of with SMA but changed to cow and gate as she got really bad belly ache
  • Options
    Hi, my wee man is on sma gold which is fine, BUT the SMA is about a quid dearer than the C&G. If I'd known I may have tried that first as you do use a tin a week if fully bottle.
    Good luck with the breast feeding - as long as babe is putting on weight I wouldn't worry how your boobs feel !!
  • Options
    Hi there, I use SMA Gold with my little girl and she enjoys each feed and seems to be doing fine on it. She is putting on weight well, hope it goes well for you.

Charlotte
  • Options
    hi ya why dont you try sma gold thats wat i use and it has been fine for my baby he is 4 months now!