Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Getting baby into cot!

Hi, LO has decided our bed is his bed (5 months) and won't go in his cot unless asleep already. He has occasionally gone in it awake and self settled but it's rare. I'm not pushing it because I'm not sure how to but i don't want him still in our bed at 6 months!! There's no way I'll do CC, any other tips? Has anyone moved the cot next to their bed and gradually moved it further away? Seems logical to me. The other problem is we love LO sleeping with us but want it to stop for his long-term sleep habits and also worried about him rolling out. He's a good sleeper with us or in cot but won't regularly fall asleep in cot. Hmmm, any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    hi hun you are not alone with my lil boy he hated moses basket but loved buggy he started getting too big sleep in buggy and hateed cot so we had him in with us same as your lil one our lil one thought our bed was his bed he is now 10 months and as only properly just started sleeping in his cot we have move the cot right near our bed when he wakes up at night and screams we put our arms through the bars to make him think his still in bed with us that worked for lil while but he soon clocked on so we at too do it the hard way when he woke pick him up cuddle him for few mins till his sleep and put him back in cot he feels secure knowing his cots near our bed and we aint going any where good luck hun x
  • Options
    I never really had this problem as, WARNING bad mum alert! I put B in his own room and in his cot at 6 weeks, It just worked for him and us, he was a light sleeper and woke easily with us turning over and our rooms are very close together. Anyway, thats not the point, just wanted to try and help!
    As you say perhaps moving the cot in to your room so he can hear you close by for falling asleep to start with may work, then moving it to his room after a while. I think that sounds sensible. Bit daft maybe but perhaps you could use sheets from your bed in his cot so that it smelled like your bed too? Know they'd be well folded over cos of the size but maybe even a pillowcase or something. Maybe the cosiness helps too, perhaps a hot water bottle in his cot that you can take out when he goes in it so its nice and warm?

Sorry cant be of much help but thought i'd try!

xxx
  • Options
    I'm in the same camp as crystal...moved LO into own room at 7wks - she was just soooooo noisy and I was getting NO sleep...but I just wanted to ask, does your LO nap in his cot in the day time?

When our LO did sleep in our room I always put her in her cot for naps so that she's get used to it and hopfully smooth the transition...just an idea to do day sleeps in it and work from there??

I def second the idea of using something that smells of you/your bed in the cot...you could sleep with a muslin for a couple of nights and then use that, I'm sure smells are very reassuring for babies.

Good luck with the move!

• Options
    sorry just add to the mix we get baby sleep within ten mins in our bed befor making that crucail transfer lol
  • Options
    Crystal...thats cheating!!! Whatever works thoughimage