Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

night feeds

hi All
my son is 8 weeks old and still wakes twice in the night (every 3 hours). he goes 4 hourly during the day and drinks 6-7 oz usually. however the past few nights he will only drink 2-4 oz and goes asleep i tried waking him by changing nappy but he wont budge!! he still sleeps 3 hours though? does this mean he is needing less at night? and has anyone experienced this? he used to dring 6 oz nearly at night? im hoping he is sleeping through soonas im buggered!!!! any suggestions? xxx

Replies

• Options
    my lo went down to one feed a night at about 7 weeks, was v happy bout that. he's slept through a few nites but generally wakes now at abut 4 for a short feed. don't need so much at nite as not using so much energy. as long as he is putting on good weight i don't worry too much. hope this helps xclaire
  • Options
    my little man up every 3 hours and feeds same or more in day, put him on hungrier babies food at night but it makes him constipated so have to give him sterile water too!! cant wait til i can give him baby rice nd hope it helps!!! my daughter was same, but he was born 9lb 10 he 6 weeks sunday and a week ago he was over 12 lb!! xx
  • Options
    My son was waking twice once at 2am then at 4am.at 2am he was only having 2oz so one night I gave him a dummy instead which he sucked for a couple of minutes then went back to sleep he has never woke at that time again just at 4am.He is 5 week old.
  • Options
    forgot to say that I haveput him in his own room as I was picking him up as soon as he started wriggling about ,and I would listen to every noise he made so wasnt getting much sleep for lisening.I have found it alot better because I know that when I hear him cry he is hungry and not just moving.so I dont spend an hour wondering if he is wanting feed has wind ect.
  • Options
    hi hayley my lo still waking 3 hourly at night too, he seems to be feeding less and like you im knackered and hoping he will sleep through soon as im becoming a bit obsessed with getting sleep now.
  • Options
    My lo is 16wks and I give him a feed at about 10pm and he goes through to 5 or 6am. If he has had a big feed before 9pm I put him down but wake him for this 10pm top up or he wakes at stupid time. Oh to have a full nights sleep.....
  • Options
    hi All
    my son is 8 weeks old and still wakes twice in the night (every 3 hours). he goes 4 hourly during the day and drinks 6-7 oz usually. however the past few nights he will only drink 2-4 oz and goes asleep i tried waking him by changing nappy but he wont budge!! he still sleeps 3 hours though? does this mean he is needing less at night? and has anyone experienced this? he used to dring 6 oz nearly at night? im hoping he is sleeping through soonas im buggered!!!! any suggestions? xxx

hayley... why are you waking your lo up at night for a feed????? image If hes had a couple of oz and he's still sleeping normal then leave him!! :\) daniel was sleeping through by 8 weeks from 9pm-6/7am (if i remember rightly, lol). have a search for dream feeds on the forum as it may be an idea for you to try?

good luck xx :\) xx
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I'm in the same boat - my LO wakes twice nightly and sometimes I don't even know if he is definitely hungry or just unsettled! I feed him just in case when he cries. It's just such a guessing game! He has a dummy too as it settles him and helps him sleep but I find that he gets overtired and spits his dummy out, and then kicks off majorly until I put it back in. This lasts for over an hour practically each night so I am shattered - has anyone got any advice? Do you think I should not give him his dummy at night? Oh I feel so useless!!!
  • Options
    i dont try to wake him up completely just stir him so he has more feed as sometimes he doesnt always go 3 hours and i want him to go longer. he was awake from 3am this morning with trapped wind. i havent tried with the dummy yet though but i get the feeling it wouldnt work!!!!
  • Options
    thanks i will try the dummy tonight see how we go on? he takes his 11pm feed fine its the 3am one he struggles wit so will try dumm god it would be heaven if he missed out that feed!!!! xxx