Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

sleeps through but wakes for dummy

Hi ya,

my baby is 4 months 3 weeks old and she sleeps through the night in terms of feeds. The problem is that she wakes up or rather start stirring and will then wake up if she lost her dummy and it is not given back to her.

How can I get her to sleep without it? She mostly uses the dummy to fall asleep but not always and she is also not usually using the dummy during waking hours.

Also - her day naps are really short (maybe up to an hour) and again - if the dummy's out then her sleep is over.

Any advise???

Thanks very much!

einav

Replies

• Options
    Hi einav, I am having exactly the same problem! My little girl will be 5 months old next week and has been sleeping through for the last 3 weeks but the last week or so she has woke up and started to cry for her dummy. The thing she is doing now though is when i put the dummy in she puts her hand to her mouth and then pulls it back out again...aaaarrrgh!!! Not good at 3am!! I stand there with my finger on the end of her dummy waiting for her to go back to sleep and it is soooooo frustrating! Feeding her during the night was much easier as it was a 10 min job and then she was fast asleep. The other night i was up for 1 1/2 hours holding the dummy and last night i was up and down 5 times!! Has anybody got any advice...pleeeeasse!

Mel xx
  • Options
    Hi Mel,

Sounds like we ARE in a similar boat! But you know, when my baby is moving her hands so much that she pulls the dummy out herself I either swadle her or I turn her on to her side..

I have to get up to her many times at night, but usually I can go back to bed straight away. Still - it would be nice to have a full night sleep every now and again!!

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    I used to swaddle her when she was little but she hates it now and i daren't lie her on her side as she is nearly rolling over so would be a bit worried about that. I'd love a full nights sleep as hubby NEVER hears her wake or cry!! Mel xx
  • Options
    Hello,
    I have the exact same prob my lo is coming up for 4 months.
    Please Help if im not quick enough he wakes up properly and decides he wants food for about 2 mins!
  • Options
    ok ladies, i'm in sameboat too. jack likes his dummy for comfort during day and will wake and cry for it at nite. i wouldn't stand holding dummy for that long though melbee! if jack drops it more than once i take it away for a while, usually results in him crying for a bit but then he keeps a firm hold of it when i give it back. trying to wean him off it during daytime, as a result he's finding his thumb more and more.
  • Options
    I know curlyclaire I am officially MAD!!! But to get into bed to then get back out of it again was absolutely doing my nut in!! Was thinking of just not giving her it but she screams and I have a 10yr old daughter too so she would wake her up. Was thinking about getting her earplugs though! It's that bad that I'm actually thinking of just going cold turkey with the dummy...GULP!!! Maybe use the ssh/pat method to get her back to sleep which would be bad for the first 2-3 nights then hopefully be okay. Think I'll try it tonight as my 10 yr old is staying at her friends. Wish me luck! xxx
  • Options
    I'm having EXACTLY the same issue as all you ladies. OH doesn't hear her either which would worry me if I ever needed to be away from home. Do they really not hear them or is it just something they say?! My lo is 13 weeks today and sleeps from 7pm to 6am with about 4 sniffles in the night usually calmed by a dummy but am I making a rod for my own back going in?

Charlotte
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Charlotte, if you can settle your lo without a dummy now I would try as it is a nightmare at this stage! I am totally demented! I genuinely believe my hubby can't hear her cry as he could go to sleep on a washing line! He even carried on sleeping when I turned the monitor off in the nursery and the really LOUD sssshhhhing sound from the monitor in our bedroom was blaring! Mel xx
  • Options
    Well tried without the dummy last night and gave in after 1/2 hour of solid crying at 2.30am!!!:\( Gave her the dummy and she went straight back off...only to keep on waking up every hour or so when she had pulled it out! I am now at the end of my tether and even had a few tears last night as it is driving me round the bend :cry: Last night was probably the worst out of all the nights she has woken up and i just think it can only get worse. I can handle not getting any sleep but its upsetting to know that she isn't getting a full nights sleep and as a result today i have a very unhappy baby girl. How was everyone elses night last night?
    A very down and tired Mel. xx
  • Options
    i had & still have the same issue (my lo is 17 months). they tend to knock it out when they're young & then can't put it back in themselves. as they get older they can find the dummy & put it back in themselves (assuming it hasn't fallen out of the cot!). i have a stash of dummies in the cot & on hand for such occassions during the night. x