Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Swimming with Baby

I went swimming with my 7 1/2 week old son this week and he really enjoyed it. While I was at the baths I noticed that they do parent and baby classes. I'm really interested in going but I can't imagine taking my son swimming and then getting myself and him showered and changed by myself, especially if there are other parents there all trying to use the same equipment at the same time. Logistical nightmare!
I was just wondering if any of you have experience of taking your little one swimming or if anyone else is thinking about it.

Replies

• Options
    Hi.
    My son is 7 months old now and we've been dying to take him swimming. I was just wondering where you got your swim nappy from cos all the ones I've seen in the shops are far too big for my lo so we haven't been able to take him yet.
  • Options
    hey vic my daughter loves swimming shes 4 months now i got my swim nappies from mothercare n there great a lil expensive but def worth it.
  • Options
    I thought u couldnt take babies swimming till they where 12 weeks old? My son is 6days old, of course I wont take him yet but would like to get him used to water sooner rather than later..?
    Marie..xx
  • Options
    I think u have to wait until they have had their first lot of jabs at 8 weeks. my lo is having her 3rd lot tomorrow and then me and my hubby r going to take her swimming the begining of july. I cant wait
  • Options
    I asked my hv when i could go swimming with my lo as i too had heard that you had to wait until their 3rd lot of jabs at 12 weeks - but my hv said that babies won't be protected from any bugs in the pool from the injections they get so you can take baba swimming anytime you feel is right for you. x
  • Options
    I read up on the internet b4 I took my son, there are plenty of sites that say it is safe to take a baby swimming b4 their injections and that it used to be the recommendation that they waited. Some baths, however, still stick to this rule.
  • Options
    i am taking my lo for first time swimming this w/end with oh. he's 13 weeks now. was going to take him in the sea last wk but not quite warm enough. finding out about swim classes too. oops, just realised i need cozzie 2, my old one duznt fit, got lo's at mothercare.