Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Routines...

Hello
When do you begin a routine for your child? My baby is two weeks old...
His feeding is all over the place at the minute as he used to sleep during the day and awake at night... Now he wont sleep during the day....N he wont let me put him down either or he cries....
Any suggestions or ideas much appreciated??
Could it be he isnt getting enough food??
Im confused at what to do as the books seem to suggest a routine at 6-8 weeks...
SWxx

Replies

• Options
    I think that your lo is probably too young for much of a routine yet. We started a bedtime routine at about four weeks. Story at 6.30, then bath and last feed and bed at about 7.30 and this seemed to help lo settle so maybe worth a try. Breastfed babies to tend to want to feed when they feel like it which varries from day to day. Could it be wind that is keeping him awake? My lo suffered quite badly and was very hard to settle, she used to sleep on my chest, in the pram or in the car but would never sleep in her cot during the day. The first few weeks are exhausting, particularly if you are breastfeeding as it has to be you that gets up in the night. Is there any one who could give you an hour off during the day so you could sleep, my mum used to come up and take lo for long walks so I could sleep, lo also used to sleep while she was out. Hang in there and I am sure that you and lo will find your own routine, and it will propably be totally different from the books. Take care, Kerry xx
  • Options
    I didn't really get my lo into any kind of routine until he was about 6 weeks. You will find a way that works for you. At the moment your lo will be adjusting to the new world, as Kerry said lo don't tend to follow the books too much, they have there own plan! Things like not being able to put him down etc, will get easier as he adjusts. Let us know how you get on.x