Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cow and Gate Comfort and Dr Brown Bottles - Please Help!

Hi

First of all sorry for the long post but I really need some advice on this...

My little girl who is just over a week old, has had really bad wind, we are not sure if it is colic keeping her up especially at night with hiccups, and crying with pain through wind, making her turn red and raising her legs in pain.

She was breastfed for the first 6 days but gave up as we had problems with the baby latching on properly etc, which we thought could be causing the wind.

So she started on Cow and Gate stage 1 milk with a tommy tippee standard medium flow bottle before being advised by the midwife to go onto Cow and Gate comfort milk and Dr Brown bottles.

I started her off on the cow and gate comfort milk with the tommy tippee standard bottle and she seemed to be getting less wind. But I have just used the recommended Dr Brown bottles tonight and she is having loads of hiccups? And when she was feeding with the Dr Brown bottles she was making loud sucking noises.

Is it because the Cow and Gate Comfort milk is too thick for the Level One teat on the Dr Brown Bottle. I have just read the side of the Cow and Gate comfort box and it recommends a medium or fast flowing teat due to the milks thick nature.

Also how does everyone else mix the milk with the boiling water in the Dr Brown bottles. I have just used a spoon to mix it up as it says not to shake it, does anybody shake the Dr Brown bottles to mix it all up - so it is easier to test the temp as the bottle is all assembled?

I find these Dr Brown bottles very fiddly - i.e. I put the boiling water into the bottle, then the milk powder, then mix this up with a sterilised spoon. But when trying to cool the milk down in cold water its very awkward as when checking the temp I have to assemble the bottle to test the milk on my hand.

Then if it is too hot I have to put it back into the water wait for it to cool, then dismantle the bottle get another steralised spoon mix it back up reassemble the bottle again etc

Does everybody get these problem with the Dr Brown bottles?
And am I better off with just using the Standard Tommy Tippee bottles and medium flow teats?

Replies

• Options
    I dont use Dr Browns (I use tommee tippee and havent had any problems) but have you tried filling the bottles with the cooled boiled water, leaving them on the side and then adding the milk as needed? It is much easier than cooling it down taking ages. x
  • Options
    Hi,
    What Tiger Lily has said is a great idea for normal milks but if you add the powder to cool water you'll find that it wont mix and stay lumpy, so you need to do it with boiling water unfortunatly.
    Ruby used to be on the Comfort milk and the Dr Browns bottles and I found it to be such a fiddle too. I then changed to Mam bottles which have a special colic valve thingy and are also BPA free. The teat is also shaped a bit differently and my baby has taken to them really well.
    I would recommend the Mam bottles if you can afford to buy any more, they are ??10.99 for 3 in Boots but i'm sure you can buy them individually too.
    If not then i'd probably just use your old bottles for now and see how she is with those.
    I hope she feels better soon, for both your sakes!
    Amy xx
  • Options
    Morgana is not on the comfort milk but on Nutriprem 2 which is also much thicker than normal milk. I used Dr Brown bottles to get rid of her wind (which incidently got 100 times worse with the MAM bottles, no idea why). I usually make her milk up by filling the bottle with the required boiling water and then putting the bottle (just the bottle part, not the brown bit etc) into a mug of cold water to cool it down. Once its a little cooler I stir in the powder (I never shake them as that creates more air and thats what you trying to get rid off!)To test the temperature I simply stick my finger in :P
    I never used the no1 teats as they are too hard to get anything through for my lo, my advice would be to buy the no2 ones and see how she goes with it. When lo had her bad wind episode, I also used two droppers full of Infacol before every feed and it seemed to clear up after a while.
  • Options
    I use Dr Browns bottles and Aptamil extra hungry, they are a bit more hassle but well worth it. My lo really struggled and like you I had to give up bf after a week as she was struggling so much and not feeding properly. Your lo is only 1 week old so I would be quite cautious using the no.2 teats as they may overwhelm her with milk - the quicker she drinks the worse it could be.

On another note have you thought that it could possibly be silent reflux that you lo is suffering with, hiccups are usually a sign of reflux and it often gets misdiagnosed as colic.

Here is some info on the symtoms etc....

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/reflux/
  • Options
    Hi
    Thanks all for the replies, for the last 3 feeds I have gone back to the Tommee Tippee medium flow teat which is suitable for 0+ months.

Last night however she had bad wind, making kind of a grunting noise? along with hiccups. Is this because of a change of milk to the C+G Comfort milk?

Also she has not done a poo since about 4pm yesterday, when before this she was going regular?

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Ok i know what your going through from 10 days old my lo had colic/wind and silent acid reflux... watch out for these signs as very similar to colic but worse and they get severe hiccups and i started noticing a acid smell on lo breath!!

anyway i too tried all types of milk even tried lactose free on advise from hv... it didn't make any differece so dr said to just use normal... we got the dr brown bottles too....yes they are fiddly, my lo is now over 6 months old so been using then for ages now and it isn't as bad.. yest you have more bits to clean but you get quick at this...

all i do is steralise all bottles, boile kettle, leave longer than the 30mins... usually about an hour, then pour into bottles, put in formula, put bits together and lids on, leave to stand until luke warm and then i do shake, if too hot it will leak everywhere... i then leave to properly cool then put in fridge and thats bottles for that day!!! i know you get told now not to make up in advance but i have since lo was week old and every single person i know does.... apparently 6 months before i had lo they could tell you to do it but then regs changed so had to tell you to make as go along!!!

also if you are using comfort you will need next teat on the dr browns... i use hungry baby now and used teat 2 until about 6 weeks ago moved to 3!!!

you mention the grunting noises... does lo scream and get very distressed whilst feeding and after and go to feed but then pull away after few sips???

my lo has gavisgon for reflux(by the way not sickness reflux) and it's amazing!!!

also for wind and colic... i tried everything on the market only thing that helped was Dentinox Colic Drops... we put it in every bottle until 4 and half months...

if i was you id stop the comfort use normal milk and get some colic/wind drops dentinox ay others as different ones work for different babies...

let me know if you need any other advise i'll try and help!!!

but do leave the bottles until nearly cool before shaking... you can swirl but i found it didn't mix properly!!!

xx
  • Options

my baby is 3 and half months old . I have on the dr brown bottles and the c & g first formula. from first day my baby has had bad wind and bad hicupps.. my doc said it was reflux so was put on gaviscon for few weeks which made no difference . so she thought it may be colic so was put on infacol again this has made no difference in 5 weeks  . she was then put on lactease drops again it hasn't worked.. she screams in agony trying to go for a poo and might only have 1 every few days . even 2-3 hours after a feed my baby will throw up and scream in agony trying to wind and fart. has anyone any advice to help as im a first time mam and getting very frustrated . iv brought her doctors and hospital loads of times . I think they are thinking its just me as this stage but I know there is something im doing wrong.