Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Reflux

Just wondering if anyone elses baby has had or has got reflux? My little boy had it and before we went to see the doctor and got gaviscon, life was a complete nightmare. But life does get better. he's now 4.5 months and is fine

Replies

• Options
    Hi there. My lo who is 8 1/2 weeks has occasionally started to vomit back his feed. He started last week and has done it 5 times. Am seeing my HV tomorrow to talk to her about it. Sara.x
  • Options
    My Daughter has reflux. Was diagnosed at 5 weeks and is now 13 weeks with no real improvements. She is on every possible medication possible for her age which keeps things under control to an extent, however she still cries in pain and sicks up most feeds. if I could pass on any advice about talking to health professionals about reflux, be absolutely clear about the degree of sickness/pain etc and don't be fobbed off with 'they'll grow out of it'!
  • Options
    Hi,
    trust me, they DO grow out of it. my little boy is now 20 weeks and it has finally stopped. I thought the screaming and the sick would never stop and people kept telling me that he would grow out of it and I didn't believe them. Is your daughter on gaviscon and renitadean? don't give up, your not alone, there are lots of people in our position, please keep in touch. I know exactly how you're feeling. i just wanted to give him up for adoption and thought he was punishing me by screaming. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Havn't logged on for a while and just read this post. My lo has reflux. Was awful for the first 3 months, went on gaviscon but beyond that kept getting fobbed off when I went back to docs saying he still wasn't right. He used to scream in pain after every bottle. Eventually a doc got some advice from a paed and he was put on ranitidine, been brilliant ever since. Hasn't grown out of it yet though (6.5 months now), just had to arrange for his dose of ranitidine to be increased as it seemed to stop working.
  • Options
    my oldest (now 11) had reflux and it was awfull he used to be so sick it would be coming out of his nose and he had a permanently sore chin where he just used to dribble sick down all day, i was fobbed off and didnt know any better but it did improve when he started on solids (which was 12 weeks back then) then he had completely grown out of it by about 7 months so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    i always thought my daughter had reflux, she was so sick all the time and in constant pain (shes 3 now) every time i took her to the doctor he said she was fine and this went on for months. she did get over it and only stopped being sick after she ate when she was about 9 months old. try keeping them up as much as possible, at bathtime, nappychanges and bed time, keep a small towel under mattress or changing mat helps a bit to.
  • Options
    Hi all, looking for some advice. I have been prescribed Omeprazole and Ranitidine for my little one by the GP. They also mentioned getting a wedge for the bed and maybe a sleep positioner. There is nothing at Mothercare like this, where on the internet can I get one?

Thanks all, Julia.
  • Options
    It looks like no one is using this thread any more but hopefully someone can help. I have found www.babyreflux.co.uk who sell wedges and positioners - has anyone bought from them before?

[Modified by: JuliaAlexander on January 28, 2008 12:08 PM]
  • Options
    No, but if you have a look on e bay, search for baby sleep positioners, there's a company on there that do the special wedges for under the sheets. I would imagine they may be a little cheaper on there.
    Lots of luck.
  • Options
    Thanks Donna&Poppy, I ordered a wedge like you mentioned that goes under the sheets from babyreflux as I'm never sure about ordering from ebay when it comes to baby products, I'll let you know how I get on - thanks again.

Julia
  • Options
    I've just popped a rolled up t shirt under los moses mattress to slightly tilt her. She's been on Gaviscon since Wed and barely sicks up now - yay!
  • Options
    Sorry to sound stupid - but whats the difference between having a sicky baby and a baby with reflux? Is there one?? Bryn is sick after every feed and sometimes in between feeds as well... however it doesn't seem to bother him.... could this be reflux?.... I was going to ask my hv on monday when we go to the clinic but I'd like to be able to sound like I know what I'm talking about!
  • Options
    Emalenna, try www.littlerefluxers.co.uk - it is a support group for reflux where there is loads of information and parents to help you. I joined and had lots of great help with my little 'un.
  • Options
    :roll:hi

i have a 3 month baby girl who suffers reflux and is laxtose introlrent. after she feeds is a nitemare i fell like iam always covered in sick and so is she.
    she is is in so much pain when it comes back and it breaks mt heart.
    so i have had a battle with the hospital and doctors to help me.
    still no one has shown me what to do with reflux or what to do if she chocks which she did yesterday and could not breath i am still shakin and iam terrifed if this happens again.
    for the last 2 months shes been having gaviscon in very bottle (not sure if this really helps)
    i saw a doctor at the hospital who has now given her domperdome and rittidean not sure if the spelling is correct as i dont have the bottles with me right now.
    i have statred using this yesterday with the gaviscon and i have found that all 3 together are making a diffrence she is still being sick but the rittidean is stoping the acid and so the pain is easing.
    this is going to take time to work and is no fast fix but i have breathed a sigh of relife we she did not scream so much.
    I also find gripe water really helps and calpol also. i got some syringes from the doctor so that it can be given easily.
    i also have a boucing chair that vibrets that helps to. and sometimes putting a little bit of infacol on the end of her dummy so she can suckle on it also helps.

i hope this helps parents that have babies with reflux and if any one has any other idears please let me know this is such a horribal thing to have some days i feel like iam going mad!!!

lucy x